Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In all my saab years i never had to buy a part directly from the dealer. Anyway, my car's coolant heater hose burst on the dyno at the fall festival. Needless to say, i needed the part asap to drive 4hrs home that night. New Salem Saab had the part and was kind enough to let me use a bay so i could change it. The part cost 75 dollars. I went to eeuro to get an idea of how much they charge. Granted, its not oem, but the part is 14 dollars. Kudos to NSS on helping me out in a pinch, bummer that it cost 5 times as much as i could have bought it for. I feel a bit hosed as it were

I did find out my bpv is bad and my wastgate opens very prematurely though creating a majorly low boost psi to where the tune is set for. I am about 8 psi lower to were it should be

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I have found a few things (like 9-5 wheel bearings) that eEuro stocks at lower price than my whoesale prices from some distributors.

Things like hoses have their list prices padded a little to make up for how quick it is to change them, just the way it is.

The Uro brand hoses eEuro stocks are also significantly cheaper than the Gates or Mackey hoses that we use (Gates if possible).

Drew

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Did you try to negotiate? It's worth a shot. ALL repair shops have some parts markup. My buddies shop they are required to mark parts up 15 percent.

Whenever I call the dealer, the parts guy is always like "hmmm, about xx dollars" even after looking up the part. I just figure he is looking at his cost, and then throwing out a number that he thinks will work!

Sometimes when I come in for the part he asks what was the price he's quoted!!

So again, it desert hurt to ask, even a friendly "is that the best you can do?"

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I can't recall what brand my heater hose is, but I picked up mine through a friend's shop and he let's me have parts at his cost. He's a VW mechanic, so there was no way he was going to get much, if any, work out of my car. In return for the hookup, I would pass out his card to VW owners, and kept his shop sticker on back of my car. I think I paid about $15 or so for the hose, might have been a Gates, now that I think about it.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I did mine from up top, was kind of a pain, but it was manageable. If I were any shorter in the arms, would have had to go under the car. Mine blew out about 3 blocks from my house and sprayed coolant everywhere. Coasted into the driveway just as the coolant tank went empty. Fortunately this was when I lived in town, so I just rode my bicycle for a couple days while waiting on the part. Now it would blow, being 20 miles in the sticks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts