Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For my '02 9-5 ARC. Problem is solved, just a piece of advice.

So the last 3 months I'm getting this stupid error all the time. Last weeks it was just a matter of turing the key and then pressing the reset button on the SID knowing that I have filled the damn thing...

I'm due for my 90k service so I thought, I won't bother checking it since my mechanic will. Then warm air stopped coming out of the vent and I started worrying. A bit of research (google'd it actually) and I found out that the hot air problem is consequence of not having coolant fluid. So, I opened the hood only to find out that for the last 2 months (since the last time I filled it) I was driving without the cap on the coolant tank.

[two minutes to absorve my stupidity]

It was dead dry... I don't even want to know for how long it's been like this. So to all of you out there, don't ignore your SID's warnings! I almost got to the point that someone would write a "sighting" for an abandoned burnt white 9-5 on the shoulder of I65... (/define: irony)

My $0.02

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
You sir are very very very lucky.

I'd say after about 15 minuts or so without coolant, an engine would sieze and lock up.

Congratulations.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Wow that SUCKS. That is like your worst nightmare for diy car work, OH SHIT I FORGOT TO PUT THE CAP BACK ON. I always try to double check and make sure everything is the way it should be before I drive the car again just for that reason.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Wow.... that is just amazing....2 months! Most car's would spit out the coolant, then overheat the first day, or in the the first hour. If you don't have the cap on, you don't build up pressure, and because of that, you get a lower boiling point, then what the system is built for.

·
Registered
201 Posts
But you are not alone, we have here 250 busdrivers, and it's lost oilcaps, lost fuelcaps, lost coolantcaps all the time. Lucky I have a SAAB with a holder in the gas tank lid, othervise I would probably still be driving around with my gascap on the roof. (and loose it in the first corner)

·
Premium Member
4,442 Posts
So where did the coolant go in the first place? How is your head not warped/cracked? Isn't the turbo oil and water cooled, too?

If this had happened during the summer, I don't think things would have ended so well.

Lucky indeed, if nothing else was harmed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts