Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a link to a pretty good tutorial on how to fiberglass. This is for the DIYer who isn't afraid to get messy ;)

Fiberglassing Tutorial

·
Registered
110 Posts
Can't wait

Just wanted to be the first to say,
That is an excellent tutorial, I can't wait to try it myself, when we get some warmer weather. :roll:

Thanks for sharing,
-Tom

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
yes its pretty good...but some of the stuff looks kinda sloppy....

ive worked with glass before but not that much...so we'll see how i do... :lol:

<edit> thank you for posting it...helps out much!!

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think his first two jobs start out sloppy, but then again that was his first time as well. As he did more jobs, it seemed to be easier.

Im sure there are also better ways to handle the resin and the glass, but in our trunks we have PLENTY of room to work with.

·
Banned
6,912 Posts
well after reading into alot of different tutorials on fiberglass... i have a couple of ??'s i wonder if some of you might have some input on.....well you all know i crashed my aero a little the other day ( :roll: ) And ive been looking to make some things custom for my car anyways..... i want to make a fiberglass front lip....... however the guy in my body shop has expressed some concerns about the fiberglass cracking (even though it is very strong) from the body flex during cornering/braking etc.

I wanted to know what your opinions are on that? should i be worried about the kit cracking?? and then the other ?? is along the same lines..... my plastic trim on the front bumper got messed up and i either need to do something with it or get it replaces.... well i have been wanting to get that pulled off and filled in anyways... so its just a solid bumper... i thought maybe you could fill it in with bondo and sand it down..... primer and paint........ well again my body shop guy expressed great concern about cracking. he doesnt have any better suggestions on either of these things..... what do you all think???

Corvettes are made from fiberglass and so are the sonnetts..... hmmmm :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

any input would be helpful! thanks so much
-KM

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
I doubt that your bumper would flex a whole lot from cornering...I would say use enough layers, and the right resin and you sould be golden. I have also been thinking of doing the same thing with the bumpers on one of my cars (I have been trying to track down a beat up front and rear aero bumper that I can fabricate to fit my '91 9k), I think the 9k Aero bumpers would look sweet without the "trim" section, and also if you could rework the lower spoiler section to make it look possibly viggen-esq and a bit lower to the ground.

·
Banned
6,912 Posts
yeah the lower section is what i am mostly talking about. the top actual bumper doesnt need much. so you think i should make a solid attempt at this?? i could get started next week...

i would LOVE to be a POS car driving around without a bumper for a couple of weeks :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: haha with bondo on the bumper. i might get mistaken for a HONDA ..... :shock:

at least i would get it painted when i am finished :wink:

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
AeroDynamic said:
yeah the lower section is what i am mostly talking about. the top actual bumper doesnt need much. so you think i should make a solid attempt at this?? i could get started next week...

i would LOVE to be a POS car driving around without a bumper for a couple of weeks :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: haha with bondo on the bumper. i might get mistaken for a HONDA ..... :shock:

at least i would get it painted when i am finished :wink:
have you ever met our resident funeral director?

·
Registered
5,988 Posts
hahaha, I think a picture is in order here, let me see what I can find.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Wow... thats pretty good.. In the future i want to make a fiberglass sub box... my current box takes up so much damn space..

·
Banned
6,912 Posts
haha thats awesome. i guess it wont look to BAD. at least i wont scratch it on curbs when parking now :roll: i always park like 2 feet back from them :lol: im so mad my front bumper was JUST re-painted a few months ago... i didnt get 1 single scratch on it until now :cry:

·
Registered
316 Posts
Couple things for you guys, and stromer I don't have any written support for these comments.

If you are working with polyester resin, please make sure it is well ventilated and you are wearing a respirator - It will seriously hurt you in the long run.

Bumper stuff - you can add a component call "flex resin" that will allow the glass to flex a bit without cracking.

Glassing is not difficult, just time consuming and with practice you can make some really cool stuff.

·
Registered
5,988 Posts
So the flex resin is just something you have to mix in? Or is it a completely different type of resin?

What type of application would call for this flex agent? I mean besides bumpers. Like on an interior part, would most things be safe without it?

·
Banned
6,912 Posts
KevinY said:
Couple things for you guys, and stromer I don't have any written support for these comments.

If you are working with polyester resin, please make sure it is well ventilated and you are wearing a respirator - It will seriously hurt you in the long run.

Bumper stuff - you can add a component call "flex resin" that will allow the glass to flex a bit without cracking.

Glassing is not difficult, just time consuming and with practice you can make some really cool stuff.
so is the 'flex resin' something you mix into the resin... or a different type you purchase? any specific brand better then others? And thanks that makes me feel alot better and will be very very helpful!

And of course i will wear a respirator.... any kind of eye protection necisary? like sealed goggles? or would just like safety goggles be fine?

-KM

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
I am no expert at FG stuff as Kevin is (and I doubt that he is going to lend too much advice, as direct competition is not in his best interest :wink: ) but I have done a limited amount of FG work on boats and watercraft in the past...and yes, the resin can be brutal on the lungs and a good respirator is a really wise way to go, not just one of those bra cup lookin' things! As far as eyes go, for me the vapors seem to irritate my eyes a bit, but a really good ventilated area should take care of that.

The flex resin I believe is a different kind of resin, but I could be wrong.

As far as forming that lower bumper I have thought about a few ways of doing it, maybe using hard foam to carve the shape out of on a full sized scale. I figured that this would be a cost effective way to make a mock-up of the lower bumper, and there would probably be something that a person could use to coat it with that would allow you to lay the FG over it. Or, who knows, maybe there would be a way to make a big inverted mold to lay the FG into, so you could pop the finished product out of it and possibly make more in the future.

Any input would be great as far as what type of materials to use for an overlay mold, or what to use for an inverted mold. I don't expect the expert to chime in again, but if he would like to I'm all ears (or eyes)... :)

·
Banned
6,912 Posts
hey JK go to 'tutorials' and go to build your own body kit and click on the link. thats how to use the foam.... kinda a shitty job that kid did but it gives you ideas. I think to be good at FG or CF you have to do things your own way. use everyones ideas and combine all of the different techniques into a good one that works for you. i have read alot of tutorials on doing this and expect to not have any big problems with it.... i was just worried about possible cracking. sounds like the flex resin would be the proper solution. Im working on getting the FG chop mat right now from a place down the road from my house. i think they will give it to me wholesale :wink: Then im going to wait for the next family day at home depot (where my brother works) and buy everything else i need 8) it will be another discount and everything helps these days! Im going to get one of the full masks not the cheap throw away ones. no point in dying over a body kit :lol:
-KM

·
Banned
6,912 Posts
help! i cant find anything on any kind of "flex resin" ANYWHERE!!! anyone know anything more about this?? ive searched for like days and come up empty handed. i would like to be able to find some so i can order it so when my molds are finished i can actually make it from then fiberglass...

any advice would be much appreciated.

-KM

trying to fix my aero :oops: :cry:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts