Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, maybe some of you would want to do this project, but need someone to try it first.

You need to by
Fiberglass resin.
Bondo
Rubber gloves
Small Paint brush
plastic cups
platic knifes.
Masking tape

First off you need to take off your headlight from the car. Its the easier if you take off the glass from the back(i think this is only for the ng900 and 9-3).

I used a piece of fleece material to make the style i wanted. I cut 2 pieces the same cause i could just flip the fleece over and use it on the other side. Make sure you go to the front of the headlights and on top of the headlights. Cause when you close your hood you can still see the headlight glass from the top.

After that tape up your headlights in masking tape. Make sure you put layers on there, cause you don't want to ruin the lights.

Wear the gloves
Open the resin and dump into cup. Add the other hardener in there. Mix together. It depeneds on the application on how much to put. And that is mixed, sock the cloth in the resin. Make sure you get the whole thing socked in the resin. After that, take the cloth out of the cup. Lay the wet cloth on the headlights and put it the way you want it to set hard. Make sure to add some extra resin on top of the cloth. You want it to be thick with the resin stuff..
When you are done let it dry.
The way you let it dry is the way its gonna dry and harden.

After you do that to both of them let dry of a while, prolly overnight.

**I added these pictures of my first atempt at these. Note that they are WRONG. They do not go on top of the glass**

After its all dry, remove the lids from the glass. Its a little hard to remove. Make sure you don't break the eyelids. Trim up the sides that hee dripping resin has left behind.

Before you sand these this is what it should look like, all rough and hard.

After they are sanded and somewhat smooth. Wipe them off with a wet towel to take off the dust. After that. open up the bondo. Use another cup and scoop some out and add the other mixture that needs to be added to make it like a redish color.

Use the plastic knife and spread the bonda on the eyelids. Don't put on too much bondo. Cause you are going to be sanding it off anyways. THe bondo is just used to fill the wholes left from the resin.

After that dry's up. Sand the bondo down till you get it to be ass smooth as possible. Its ok if the resin shows after you sanded it down. Then you finer sandpaper so its extra smooth.

Then wipe down and get dust off them.
After this you should be ready for paint. I primered it up and painted it

·
Registered
38 Posts
If someone can do it well enough (doesnt look too hard) and shape them like the black saab in that pic, i would love to buy them.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
they were made by Trex.... im shure you could do it yourself instead of having trex make you some and pay for them..

·
Registered
38 Posts
I def love doing stuff like that myself but after i made my ram air setup, my tinted taillights, and my fake projector headlights i think im gonna sit this one out....i just dont feel like it.

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Excellent tutorial Trex 8)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts