Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
drove a 500 sport sunday in an amex-sponsored event whereby you pound on the car accompanied by a stooge, and in return, they give you a $15 amex gift card.

surprising - its not an entertaining car to toss around. its so small that it feels very nimble. but break it down to individual parts and you realize it has no 'sport' anywhere. characteristics which stuck out include: artificial steering, sloppy shifter, isolated cabin, limp engine, soft ride, soft seats, soft clutch.

if anything, its commendably consistent in all its novocaine-infused controls and feedback. and this will be a great commuter. its here that the mini is bettered. styling is fresh, ergonomics are great, cabin is sized for large adults in the front seats (as good as the mini, in fact), headroom with the massive glass roof was sufficient - the sunshade less so, the acc is impressive, and near 40mpg.

fiat may have similar looks/power/size/weight but the outcome is appliance-like. the mini never ever feels lacking in personality. the fiat does. at the end of it all, there is about $2000 savings in choosing similarly equipped fiat, vs mini. i'd have to side with spending the extra cash on the mini, or going fiesta/sonic, et al.

quite disappointed its no mini cooper in the sporty department. especially since its from a rabid enthusiast country.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I fit better in my Miata, fuck those things.
absolutely no fuckin way you fit better in a 1st gen miata. or any other gen, for that matter.

i can barely squeeze myself into a miata (knees firmly wedged against dash. size 13 shoes cant operate pedals).

·
Deez Nutz
15,679 Posts
Sat in a 500 at the auto show this last winter. Spent a few minutes adjusting things. I'm 6' 1" and about 220. 33" inseam, 46L coat.

Knee hit the center console
Knee hit the steering wheel
Seatbelt was too low

Not a fan.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Sat in a 500 at the auto show this last winter. Spent a few minutes adjusting things. I'm 6' 1" and about 220. 33" inseam, 46L coat.

Knee hit the center console
Knee hit the steering wheel
Seatbelt was too low

Not a fan.
try not sitting on your boyfriends lap ;)
i'm 6'2"/ 270/32"/48L and fit with room to spare for realz. didnt need seat all the way back. agree on the seatbelt, tho.

new vw beatle looks alot better and i can fit in it.6ft3
sat in the beetle and was unmoved. rather have a golf 2.0, and def rather have a mini after driving a base '12 golf tdi manual.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
The Fiat 500 is the biggest pile of crap ever made. I drove the 500 Sport and it's just terrible. It can't even go over the slightest bump without launching you out of your seat and sending your head into the roof. The steering is SO light a baby could drive it. The engine is a joke. Forget any rear leg room.... ZERO. Great commuter if you feeling like dying in a car accident. Cheap flimsy build and parts. Just a big pile of crap for the money. The mini drives 100x better then this shit box on wheels.
Rant over.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Sat in a 500, didn't drive it though. 5'10" 210 lbs, I was very comfortable in the height adjustable drivers seat. My friend of the same size in the passenger seat (not height adjustable) was hitting his head on the ceiling. (Sunroof car with 2 less inches headroom according to the saleswoman) My 6'1" friend in the backseat had no chance of being comfortable in any seat but the drivers.

As a drive around town, Smart Car alternative, I could see owning a 500. It's just I'd never even consider owning any car that small.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
yeah, there are some in the US. I've seen most of mine up here this summer from Mass and I saw an Abarth SS too. I've also seen several with ME tags.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts