Saab Link Forums banner

FEELER ONLY: OG 9-5 3" Downpipes, Aluminized

632 views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  brewtide 
#1 · (Edited)
CORRECTION: ALUMINIZED, apparently cannot edit the subject field.

Name: Benjamin Brewer

Location - additional details: Bailey Island, Maine

Means of contact: Email at bbrewer(at)gmail.com
Private Messages on here (although, i tend to let these slip for a good long while, unintentionally, so please double msg me via another medium as well!)
Txt: two-oh-seven- 713 - 31-oh-8

Price: TDB, ~ $250-$280 w/o CAT

Description:

I will be creating a 3" downpipe for my 9-5 ('00) Aero wagon w/ MT this Spring, and I figure if I am going to be custom fabbing up one, I may as well, see how much interest is out there for such a product. I will also fit and figure for those cars that have an automatic transmission as well (local to Bailey Island Maine for test fitment will gain you a discounted piece, as I do not have an automatic to test upon...!)

Plan, subject to change:

3" aluminized downpipe with a decently clean ' collector from the stock td-04 flange to taper quickly into the 3" segment.

2 O2 sensor bungs, one in stock upstream location, one close to stock 'post cat' location, w/ plug, for future CAT additions and/or EGT gauge, etc.

A first 'run' sized according (roughly) to expressed interest here and on 'that other site'.

Clean but not picture perfect welds -- No leaks, solid, but I'm of the mindset that a reasonably priced exhaust segment need not be a work of art if priced correctly.

Estimated 'ship time' is subjective, but I'm aiming for around the beginning of April, first or second week.

I will post pictures of a few completed pipes before any payment is taken / accepted; Will have a downpipe IN HAND ready to go before I will accept payment of any form -- No false promises and 'soon' to be had, as I realize that's very irritating, and can cause ill-will, regardless of how innocent a holdup could be.

Willing to build some with your typical RACE CAT's for an additional fee, to be determined for order volume. I figure ~ $80 EXTRA for such a CATTED pipe, but that could ebb and flow a bit, depending on order volume. Note, most 'race cats' are built for flow, not for long run activity, and will honestly burn up in 1 - 2 years.

Also willing to work with a custom order if provided measurements are accurate, custom flanges to mount to a large/different turbo setup, etc.

All will be MIG welded and I will attempt to 'pressure test' them via some cobbled together method, as to insure no leaks from the get-go!

So, please create a running list of PROBABLE interest by replying to this post, if you are really honestly probably interested. You're not signing your life away, but legit expressed interest would be kind, so I may order and construct in a timely and orderly fashion, without having a garage filled with downpipes!

Thanks in advance, feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns,
Benjamin

1) Brewtide

See less See more
#4 ·
I'd be in.
I have a "Custom" downpipe from the gentleman that swapped engines for me. There's nothing structurally wrong with it, except that the O2 sensors are in the wrong spot, and it's REALLY fucking with T7.

My advice to you. Keep the O2 sensors EXACTLY where Saab engineered them.
I have learned that T7 relies VERY heavily on them, and they need to be placed where the ECU expects them.

#5 ·
Appreciate the advice, was planning on keeping them in the 'exact' same place for the reasons you mentioned.

Priorities are on a solid, well flowing piece that is *functional* and supports a more reasonable price tag than the alternatives.

If one is building a serious, show quality car, then I'd just advocate buying a beautiful GS pipe, however, I realize that most of us run cars that are 'nice', but not to the extent of the downpipe needing to last 25 years in the snow and salt with picture perfect welds.

Appreciated,
will keep people updated as far as progress and , when the time comes, product pictures!

-Benjamin

#9 ·
not a very good time in the market for this unfortunately...We just had a group buy for Krona 3'' downpipes.

Also a lot of 9-5ers in the northern New England area are seeing Sam Finch in Westford Mass for a custom complete system for peanuts.

Your pricing seems very reasonable.. I would think if you invest and manufacture these without any commitments you should have no problem selling these over a long period of time.

#11 ·
Thank you all for the tips and commentary. Greatly appreciated. Pictures when things are in production. On the phone, so I'm keeping this short, but it's all very appreciated.

I'll keep updated, but please keep showing interest if one is interested, gives me a good guide of how many the first run should involve!

Cheers,
Benjamin

#14 ·
Update:

A lot of piping has been ordered and measurements are taking place. Garage is all but cleaned out from 'winter mode' (although, it's still damn cold up here, where is Spring?)

Ordered enough for around 10-12 pipes, as far as I can figure. I will gladly post pictures of stock and progress in the next week or so.

Items will be offered for sale, when complete, in the order of which interest was expressed. If there is more interest than this run, then the second run will commence!

So, check in now if you're interested, and join the queue! No tie in's except for a legit honest 'interest', no money to change hands until products are 'in stock' and ready to ship (and no hard feelings if you end up changing your mind, as long as the interest expressed was legit in the beginning!)

Price point is probably going to list more towards the $280 figure, as I'm adding things up, but that's not a final decision by any means, and I will lock it down once I see how everything adds up!

Also,
If any of the expressed interested parties are really shooting on having a race cat installed, I will gladly make a few, for the additional cost of said cat.

I'm planning on two 'upstream' 02 bungs -- One in stock location for the front o2, one an inch or so behind this one for a future EGT gauge, and one 'downstream' to plug in your rear o2 sensor... =)

Custom orders in this regard can be made -- more ports, or less (ie, if you never ever want an EGT), etc.

Cheers,
Happy Monday,
Benjamin

#16 ·
Bump to the top. sorry, I've been updating the thread on 'the other forum' quite a bit, and let this one slip. Apologies, but If I may just link to over there.

(And yes, I know the O2 is NOT in the correct location on my specific pipe, i have a seam where it needs to go, and have yet to resolve it -- And yes, I think it makes the first startup after ecu disconnect VERY rugged, before adaptation!)

Cheers!

For Sale: FEELER ONLY: OG 9-5 3" Downpipes, Galvanized - SaabCentral Forums

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.