Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've hit a point where I really need a 4 door car, so I'm reluctantly considering selling my Viggen. Here's the details:

The car is a 2002 silver 2dr with 93k on the odometer. I picked it up from Saab City in Framingham, MA roughly 3 1/2 years ago where the original owner had traded it in with just under 60k on it. The car has a very full service history; the original owner maintained it at the dealer throughout it's life, and I have all the records.

In my hands it's seen regular full synthetic oil changes, a new clutch due to a noisy throwout bearing, new throttle body and a new alternator. Most recently it got all new brakes and new Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires (tires within the last 60 days).

Paint and body are very good (but dirty in the pictures). Besides the normal minor scratches and occasional smalll ding there are only two real flaws: a broken driver's side wing mirror (I have a replacement that just needs to be painted) and a good sized scratch on the driver's door. The bumper covers have been painted at some point, and while not perfect they're okay.

Mechanically it's sound with the exception of the two rear wheels which are a bit out of round (I've got two less than round spares that come with the car as well) and a bad A/C compressor. The compressor just recently failed taking out the serpintine belt and idler pully, and for now I've replaced the pully and replaced the belt with a shorter one to bypass it.

The car had OnStar at one point (it's still there minus the switches), which allowed me to direct wire in a Parrot bluetooth kit. I also hijacked the audio input from the factory 6 disc changer for an an XM Commander / Aux connection to the radio.

As I said, this is a reluctant sale. It's a good car with a solid history that doesn't owe me anything, so really a perfect keeper. KBB values it at 9k on the high end, and I'd say its worth that or pretty close to it, but I'm entertaining offers..

]

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
With its issues I wouldn see it being worth more than $$7000 and thats being generous. Not many people want to drop around $9000 and still have "out of round" wheels, no A/C, and the issue with the mirror. If you dont owe on it keep it. Its probably worth more to you in the long run. On the other hand, to the right buyer you might get decent $$$ for it, good luck.

-I payed $7,700 for a 2000 (no TCS) silver 4 dr viggen with exactly 80,000 miles (about a year and a half ago) with new clutch, GS steering rack brace, GS rear anti roll bar, ploy control arms, one ding no scratches (I was surprised), cold A/C, interior 9 out of 10, PVC upgrade #6, GS poly tranny mount, after market stereo w/250 watt amp and all new speakers. New rubber and wheels (they had 300 miles on them). Ive had to do rear breaks and a crank position sensor since having it

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the feedback.. Granted it's not off the truck perfect, but it's also had a very good childhood with full service records since it was new in 2002 so there's no mysteries about how this car was cared for. I agree $9k is ambitious pricing, as I was just trolling to see what people thought.

Today I found a car that I'm seriously considering and might <gulp> trade it in.. That said, I'll entertain any serious offers if anyone's interested in it.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Trade for a stage 3 1999 9-3se 5 door? :)

GLWS.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Something tells me I'd be better off trading in the Viggen.. =)

I'm kind of bummed over the idea of ditching the Saab, but besides needing extra doors I just don't have the time to fix things when they break. I really just need a car with a warranty.. Sad because I've always wrenched on my own cars, but I can't any more.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fire sale time.. I decided to pull the trigger on a CPO 328i, and quite possibly just trade the Viggen in. That said, while the trade in isn't bad, obviously they're not giving me quite what I wanted.

If anyone is seriously interested in it I'll entertain offers around $7k. Gotta act quick though!

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
The thing that always bugs me about having cars traded in is you know that they are going to wash/vacuum it and put a "what we paid+5k" sticker on it.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They're not going to do even that - I'll be cleaned and sent off to auction, it definately won't see time on this dealer's lot. Kind of pains me to know that's it's fate as I'd much rather see it in an enthusiast's hands but unfortinately I've got to make a move and can't really hang on to it..

·
Registered
10,080 Posts
My dealer, BMW of Morristown is sure wheelin and dealin. I think they have 0.9% financing on new 328's.

CPO is the way to go if you are not going to buy new. The nice thing about new is the years of not putting one penny into the car(brakes, wipers, oil, etc).

Good luck.

·
Registered
645 Posts
The nice thing about new is the years of not putting one penny into the car(brakes, wipers, oil, etc).

Good luck.
except the 300++$ a month for a payment and the full coverage needed on a new car, also the MASSIVE excise taxes needed to be paid just so it can be registered.. other than that 8k+ in bills just to KEEP the car, your right you wont have to spend a 3-400 on maintinance every year...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,080 Posts
except the 300++$ a month for a payment and the full coverage needed on a new car, also the MASSIVE excise taxes needed to be paid just so it can be registered.. other than that 8k+ in bills just to KEEP the car, your right you wont have to spend a 3-400 on maintinance every year...:rolleyes:
Save me the song and dance :)

I am just noting that BMW has the $0 maintenance for 50k which IF you are buying new is a nice thing compared to other brands. I think Volvo is doing it now too.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Agreed, going back to having a payment kind of sucks, but believe it or not the insurance on the BMW is actually cheaper than what I was paying for the Saab which I carry full coverage on.

Since the new car is CPO I'll still have to pay for maintenance once the factory warranty expires, but the big stuff that seems to be coming due on my Saab (like the A/C compressor) is covered until 2013. I love the Viggen, and if I had the time to deal with an older higher mileage car I would keep it, but I don't.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Save me the song and dance :)

I am just noting that BMW has the $0 maintenance for 50k which IF you are buying new is a nice thing compared to other brands. I think Volvo is doing it now too.
i was just making light of the fact that payments suck!! but surely if i where to buy a new car, bmw would be close to the top of the list.. great cars for the money and thier maintinance plan only sweetens the deal ;)

to the o.p. very good luck selling your car, nice looking example of a viggen in a color you dont see that often..

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
The big pluses for this Viggen are the year, color, mileage, clutch replacement, and coupe body. Still though, at 7k, the new owner would still be investing at least $500-1000 in repairs for the wheels and AC compressor...and that's not even considering other things that are possibly starting to wear out at the mileage (struts, control arms, other suspension items, waterpump, etc). I agree that it's a sweet car, but there's so much competition in the 6-8.5k used car range. That money buys a pretty nice 9-5 Aero, definitely buys a newer 9-3SS, and buys a lot of similar cars like 02+ Audi A4's, BMW 540i, 00+ BMW 3-series, etc etc. While the Viggen may be more special than any of those, this car market is tough. No warranty, expensive maintenance, 9 year old vehicles can be a bitch to get top dollar for if you don't find the right buyer. Hopefully you can find someone looking to get a pretty good deal on a pretty nice Viggen! Regretfully though, urgency to sell or liquidate is not usually a helpful negotiation tool for an owner. Good luck!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
urgency to sell or liquidate is not usually a helpful negotiation tool for an owner. Good luck!
Unfortinately true. You point out the car needs some work, which is correct but the little bit of work it does need is well justified on a straight two owner car with complete service history. It's not like we're talking about a car with an unknown childhood, you can trace it's steps since it was new in 2002.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Unfortinately true. You point out the car needs some work, which is correct but the little bit of work it does need is well justified on a straight two owner car with complete service history. It's not like we're talking about a car with an unknown childhood, you can trace it's steps since it was new in 2002.
Definitely! I'm not knocking the car at all, I'm just saying that I think you can get what you want for it, but that time is the real issue. I doubt there were many silver coupes made, and boy is it a nice looking car!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts