Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so the car finally made it home, bad ign coil, causing slight short, making it seem there was spark. After driving 160 miles home and 20 around town I started to hear what sounded like lifter tap. It was faint so I checked the oil and seemed ok. After running to get something to eat on my way home it lost all go. It was like it was under constant load. Then it died and would not restart.

I got home and changed the ign coil and it started but tap, now sounded like engine knock. It ran for about 20 seconds and died again. Now the starter will not turn the engine over. I know that this is serious. Any ideas, rod knock, lifter damage or timing chain brake, during the weekend we had the valve cover of to check the engine timing and the chain was taught, not loose or too tight.

Any one know if new engine or head is worth it or if parting out the car and then calling the local junk yard to come and take it. I just put all the new ezk ignition parts in minus the ezk control unit. new fuel pressure regulator, many other things. I hate to see the car go, but I am getting to hate working on it.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Could it be that the starter decided to die?

And as for your question as to weather or not the car is worth it; post some pics for us here but in my opinion if the car is rust free then yes

·
Registered
180 Posts
I also vote keep. Looks like a really solid c900. As for your engine problems. It really sounds like the oil hasnt been changed in a long time and has sludged up.. Now oil isn't circulating and is unable to lubricate your internals making your engine seem like it is under load and will seize your main bearings not allowing your flywheel to turn your crank to start the motor. The lack of oil circulation would also explain the valve chatter and the knock. That's my take.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the oil was just changed when I had to do the crank sensor on it. The oil that came out was not sludge or chunky or anything. I know that there is circulation because when we had the valve cover off there was oil on all the parts and when I bumped the starter to turn the cam oil was being pumped.

I think that I am going to pull the valve cover off and see if there is any obvious damage there. Then that should tell me whether or not it is just the head or deeper, crank or rod or something. Should I just scout the local junk yards for a replacement engine or head or any body know any place good to go to.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
its those 2.1 engines.....but still keep it...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
o sorry, I did not think that anyone read my post's. I did not find anything unusual. My uncle seems to think that I may have lost my oil pump. I was able to get it to restart the other day but it sounds like a diesel engine. I am currently at a loss. I have been laid off and not sure if I want to put the money into the car to make it run. I have already put so much into it, do I really want to replace the engine. Thanks for the concern

·
Registered
116 Posts
Take out all 4 spark plugs and crank the engine, see if water flies out of the holes. Sounds kind of like a big compression leak to me.

·
Registered
1981 8v c900 sedan, 1990 2.0 9k carlsson, 1992 21 c900 sedan
1,029 Posts
If you have a 30 mm socket and breaker bar or long ratchet driver, disable the ignition and turn the engine over by hand to see what happens. If you also have a socket to get the spark plugs out, take them out then manually turn the engine over and both watch and listen. If nothing binds up, then everything mechanical is probably ok. Don't force the engine to turn if you get to a point where it seems to lock up using a manual bar method.

If you can't get the engine to crank with the starter, the starter might not be working but if it is, then there might be something broken inside. Are the oil and coolant levels good? Are they showing any signs of cross-contamination? WHen you last had the engine turning over, did you get constant bubbling (anything from small to very violent) appearing in the coolant tank?

If the oil pump has gone, you'd get the warning light on the dash coming on and staying on after starting, and the lifter noise wouldn't go away. Check the oil level first though. Might sound silly, but if there is no oil showing, and you can't see any obvious leak from the top, check and make sure the oil drain plug hasn't come loose or come out completely.

Craig.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I drained about 16 oz of oil and had this in it oil left overs | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I have been able to get it to fire again. I pulled the plugs out and everything spins over fine, nothing came flying out of them. I am not sure of the oil light. When I do get it to run I am trying to mess with what is going on with the engine. I think that I may have spun a bearing. It will start and run, poorly and very loudly. When I try to rev it up it will slowly build up and run and higher revs for a sec and then out of no where there is like a load has been placed on the engine and it just stahls out and wont restart for an undetermined period of time. I usually try for about 10 mins and it wont restart so I give up and try the next day or so

1 - 14 of 14 Posts