Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone got any ideas on what this is
i have done the flash test on the ecu and it reads code 73 and in the book that is slow adaptation time, I have called the saab dealership and they have never heard of it and want me to take the car in to go the computer. Just thought some one out there has had same prob and might know what to do.
car is a saab ng900s 2.3 please help wife wants to get rid of it now because of this

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'd suspect a leak in a vacuum hose somewhere. Better to change the lot, it is an afternoon's DIY.

Another suspicion would be a dodgy ground for the oxygen sensor. Try checking the resistance with a good multimeter from a known good ground to the oxygen sensor body, it should be a fairly low resistance. If not, chase it down and correct it.

Have you ever changed your distributor and wires?

·
Registered
745 Posts
Not sure if this would help but I punched in the code you provided for my t2 diagnostic Trouble Code software, and getting:

"Ambient Air Temp. Sensor Circuit High"

Could mean a few things..., but a start.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for your help ive had the car in to saab and on there comp its coming up fuel trim at max and cars running slow any more ideas,
the car is a manual not auto
ive been told it could be the lamba sensor or the air mass sensor by a guy over the fone but said he couldnt be sure but most likley fault.
please if this has made any light bulbs light up over your heads let me know as cars sat on drive looking sad

·
Registered
156 Posts
Any luck with the repairs?

When my turbo started doing something similar (running rich), the mechanic here suggested three options -the MAP sensor, the IAT sensor, and the coolant temperature sensor. I ended up changing my MAP sensor.

On the N/A SAAB, you don't have the MAP or IAT sensor, but you do have the coolant temperature sensor, and the MAF takes the place of the MAP.

Check the plumbing to the MAF (Mass Airflow sensor) starting from the air intake, tighten all clamps. I suspect a major air leak here, as the fuel is trying to compensate at the max rate.

Clean the IAC valve, instruction below:
http://pages.infinit.net/mlbriand/saab/iac/page1.html

A faulty oxygen sensor (lambda) will give a different code to what you're getting.

Disconnect the battery for an hour or so to reset the ECU. Before you do this, however, make sure you have your RADIO CODE handy, or you won't have any music when you reconnect the battery.

·
Registered
745 Posts
loosen the lambdas or oxygen sensors clean the surface area.
check that your bolts are tight on the downpipe, and cat.

I had the same error, and found that my downpipe loosened up and leaked exhaust.

good luck...

regards

1 - 9 of 9 Posts