Saab Link Forums banner

Fastest SAAB in the USA for sale in Stockton, CA

4K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  snowsaab 
#1 · (Edited)
This is most likely the fastest SAAB for sale in the USA... yours for only $175,000.

1964 SAAB J35 Draken Interceptor

The engine is a Volvo unit: Flygmotor RM 6C Afterburning Turbojet producing 17,637 lbs of thrust.

Max speed is Mach 2.0 at 36,090 feet. You'll have to go to Mexico or over the ocean to do a max speed run... if you ask nicely the US Air Force will let you do some Mach runs over the Mojave desert.

Cruises at 594 knots, that's 683 mph.

Service ceiling is 60,040 feet.

Rate of climb is 34,450 feet per minute. It reaches 49,215 feet in five minutes.

It comes complete with light gray upholstery, rolled and pleated headrest.

It has 789 hours on the air frame, the engine has 1442 hours. Comes with complete service history and tools to fix it. The manuals come in Swedish but a translated copy is available.

The bad thing is not many aftermarket upgrades, BSR, Genuine SAAB, Maptun, no one makes any performance upgrades for this SAAB.

It's been for sale for a while, I think about two years ago it was being sold for $300,000. If you got cash in hand they might even go lower!

Contact Wolfe Aviation if interested! http://www.wolfeaviation.com/aircraft_for_sale/1964SAABJ35.html

I'm thinking of contacting them and offer a trade for a near-mint 95 900 SE with a little over 35,000 miles...

See less See more
#7 ·
And 175k is actually a bargain for a plane of that magnitude.
Best part is - that kind of plane plus some fire power and you could take a small country hostage :) (just won't be able to hold any "ground" for long once they bust out those RPG's)

Looks like it could use Saab's IED/IUD upgrades! man that would be fun to "idle" along the roads @ Carlisle.... That would make Tweak either get a hotel room or ear plugs.

#6 · (Edited)
The aircraft is owned by a guy named Skip Holm. SAAB of Sacramento at one time sponsored the airplane, this airplane was raced by Skip Holm in the Reno Air Races. I have seen pictures of this Draken alongside a few 9-3s and 9-5s at an airshow.

Here it is at Reno:

#11 · (Edited)
From what I understand, It's actually a terrifyingly exciting plane to fly. Fast, but you can't use it's full potential over the continental US, and excruciatingly expensive to maintain. The modified Delta wing planform doesn't really lend itself well to slow flying and it's quite unstable at lower airspeeds. But at transsonic and supersonic speeds it's a beast!
I remember when this first came up for sale more than a few years ago, seriously an exciting prospect, and price to speed is a fantastic bang for your buck. Getting appropriately type rated in this is going to be a pain and time consuming, getting the required ejection seat training, inspections, mx requirements, not to mention the cost of fuel and insurance, probably run you more than your average TurboX. :p The absolute worst part of it is that it is, sadly, single seat. Absolutely no reason to have it unless you're the loneliest millionaire in the world. (That being said, I'd take it in a heartbeat!)

..::EDIT::.. The avionics look good though, it even has a GPS! Has the exact same radio units that I use on a daily basis!!! HAHA!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.