Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now might be a good time to consider what we think a FAQ list is for our cars. While the end result will be quite useless (people will skip the FAQ and go straight to asking how much HP a 2.0t has), it will be fun generating the questions and answers. Hopefully our future new members and guests will get some use out of it.

The FAQ could start out with something like the generic specs for all of the model lineups, broken down to market sector (US, Euro, ROTW) .. and continue into a series of Q's broken down by category. I've taken the liberty of adding some of my own answers to these questions, and perhaps if there are differing opinions (not untrue statements) we should list them in the answers section (I'll give an example below)

General:

Q1) Aside from performance, what are the differences between the Linear, Arc, Vector and Aero models?
[mbodo]Linears are generally the base model 93SS, with black interior in places where the Arc has wood accents, and vector/aero have metallic finishes. Arc adds power seats & (list of stuff), while the Aero/Vector adds sports chassis, 17" wheels, etc.
[person2] It should be noted that the 1.8t is the "best value" motor to modify, as an ECU upgrade brings both the 1.8t and 2.0t to the same power as a base 2.0T motor.
Q2) Will 15" rims fit on a US Spec Arc/Aero/Vector? (ROTW Aero?)
No. Vehicles equipped with the 2.0T motor have larger rotors than those equipped with other motors.
and go into some technical areas:

Q3) What is that "Beep" I hear when I'm getting in/out of the car?
It's your seat memory getting reprogrammed. Try hitting the gym.
Q3A) Why are my mirrors always reset when I get in the car?
See above.
Q4) Can I add aux-in?
You can order one half of the cable to enable aux in in ROTW, and the entire cable in the EU.
Q5) Can I have navigation?
Only in EU.
Q6) How do I fix the door rattle in MY03 Sports Sedans?
(insert link to door fixing page)

So, go ahead, add your Q's and A's if you have them. If you've just got Q's, post em' and someone, I'm sure, will answer (wrong answers are free, correct answers are two bucks)

Hopefully, by the time this thread is finished, we will have a real live FAQ! :)

Matt

·
Registered
30 Posts
or, it could be copied from the other board that was previously done by some of us enthusiasts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jangler64 said:
or, it could be copied from the other board that was previously done by some of us enthusiasts
Ya ya ya .. that would take the fun out of it though.

:wink:

That could be a start .. we could amend it as things come up.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Probably would be worthwhile though if anybody had some really useful posts to go back and "lift" them.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Where are we going to post this faq? Just keep adding to this one? We need Vis, he was the grand faq master. I did PM him, so hopefully he won't be too long.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Question: Why do my preset radio stations seem to "drop off"?

Explaination:
The new 93SS is a victim of very poor software programming.

Why your radio forgets the preset:
Our radios seem to store numeric data in a keyword/value pair. The keyword is what is displayed on the SID (101.5Mhz), the value is where the radio is tuned. When one of these two items change, it no longer equals what was stored in the memory position. That is to say:
(Preset x)
Code:
Keyword: 101.5Mhz 
Value: Tune radio to 101.5Mhz, FM Modulation
is different from:

Code:
Keyword: 101 KGB 
Value: Tune radio to 101.5Mhz, FM Modulation
Therefore, you no longer have the keyword/value pair requried to display preset x.

From my experience, this generally ONLY happens when a non-RDS station begins broadcasting RDS. If a RDS broadcasting station changes their RDS information, it does NOT affect the stored memory position. Call it an RDS flag.
How to fix it:
If you are tuned to 101.5Mhz, and it is preset #2, and you notice the new 'keyword' in the SID appear "101 KGB", followed by preset amnesia (preset number 2 falling off), just reprogram your preset, and voila, your presets no longer fall off.

Worked for me, haven't had problems since, YMMV.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Oh like this...

IF Keyword <> Value
THEN
PreSet1 = Off;
PreSet2 = On;
ELSE
WRITE("Your stuffed");

END.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Saba said:
Oh like this...

IF Keyword <> Value
THEN
PreSet1 = Off;
PreSet2 = On;
ELSE
WRITE("Your stuffed");

END.
Well close, but I'd have written it in perl :p

Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl
$keyword=foo;
$value=bar;
#values are set

if ($keyword = "foo" && $value = "bar") {
   print "you're fine"
   }
else {
    print "you're stuffed"
     }
#keyword / value match, you're fine

$value=foobar;
#reset the value to something else, this is where RDS checks in

if ($keyword = "foo" && $value = "bar") {
   print "you're fine"
   }
else {
    print "you're stuffed"
     }
#now you're stuffed!
my perl is way rusty. I think I've got korn in my perl.

More realistically, I think it does a sum on the keyword/value pair, checks that sum with what is displayed on the SID, and if it matches, then it continues to display the preset #, if the sum comes out differently, it assumes it's not a preset.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts