Saab Link Forums banner

Fading paint: DIY clear coat?

10K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Paul Bob 
Thank you for the replies.

Well, I do have a buffer. And I used the Meguires wax. Still, I want a more permanent fix. Compount/buffing takes the paint off, and I'm trying to preserve it instead. Brushing-on paint is not very bad, actually I think you can get better finish than some OEM 2 stage coats, if you sand it right. I've painted my motorcycle tank with Rustoleum marine enamel, I did not sand/polished it, but the finish itself is pretty durable and looks good for 2 years already.

So far I'm thinking about getting some polyurethane marine clear coat, and trying it in a little spot underneath the bumper or in the trunk somewhere.

I bought the whole car for under $700, there is no way I'm paying the body shop :)
You need to polish you car then wax it. Use something abrasive like Meguires 105 cut compound andtheir 205 polish then wax/glaze and seal it. Like turbocon said, go the polishing/waxing route first then experiment with the clear if the polishing doesnt take care of it. It's much easier to fix a bad polish/wax job than it is to fix sprayed on clear

That makes sense.

Okay, I'll do polishing first instead. Probably next week as I'm still having some mechanical issues to take care of.

thanks.
Read up on it, but definitely use something abrasive that will cut into the paint more and like i said contact christian he's the expert detailer on here. I'm sure he would be more than willing to give you some advice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.