·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
F35 Quaife, F25 Gearset, & Enkei PF01 Wheels

Name: Daniel Maddux

Means of contact: Text/Call 706-518-4497 or email me at [email protected]

Price:
F35 Quaife LSD . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $750
F25 Gearset (Cryo treated & Superfinished) . . . . . . . . . . . . . $750
Enkei PF01's . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $750

Description:
The Quaife LSD and gearset both have ~2000 miles on them. I built the gearbox because 5th gear in the stock box shattered which was ultimately the same reason that this gearbox came apart. I was trying 5th gear from a Saturn Ion gearset that was a little shorter and it lasted a little longer but eventually failed just the same. I pulled the gear box apart to clean it out and rebuild but never got around to it. I had the stock 5th Viggen gear set superfinished as well though so the full gearset is just stock Viggen ratios now. Final drive is also the stock Viggen 4.05.

I'll include all of the gears, synchro rings & hubs, shift forks, input & output shafts, ring gear, and shift mechanism. I paid $750 just to have all of the internals cryo'd and superfinished. I also rebuilt the shift mechanism with new bushings and replaced the bronze synchronizer rings on gears 3, 4, & 5 with carbon synchronizer rings. This was one of the best shifting transmissions I'd ever driven. I'm willing to ship the trans stuff at my own expense just to make things easier.

With the Quaife LSD I'll include the diff, ARP fasteners, & the bearings. I'll take $750 for the diff or $1400 if someone wants to buy the gearset and Quaife LSD together.

I don't have to sell the wheels but if someone is interested I'll sell them for $750. They have a few small rock chips and one is scratched from an impact adapter breaking off and hitting the wheel. They are 18x8 in the 5x110 lug pattern and cost ~$1200 new. They have Hankook Ventus v12 tires mounted. 2 are toast and the other 2 are probably at 30-40% so I can unmount the tires if that's an issue. Would prefer to have these picked up but would be willing to ship if the buyer pays.

Pictures:
Gearset & Quaife LSD

Both 5th gear sets that I had superfinished.

Enkei Wheels

I'll try to get better pictures of the wheels in the next few days.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
What do you think is going on with your 5th gear failures?
Shock loading from an unsprung clutch. I ran a Spec clutch for a while and it wasn't an issue. I upgraded to a Quartermaster Twin-disk when the Spec started slipping and that's when the failures started.

It would always fail doing a pull in 5th. No shifting issue or anything. It didn't even have to be WOT. It would just shear the teeth off of 5th.

EDIT: The 4.45 FD would've more than likely solved the issue for the time being, but I knew that I wanted to go for more power soon so once it failed I just didn't bother.

Here's the results of the 1st failure.

·
Drew In Houston
2,864 Posts
Jeez, sorry about that. I haven't really inspected how the lubrication works out on the end, when that happens does it automatically mean the the bearings are all wrecked?

Or can you stop soon enough to keep things clean in the main case (I assume that's why you tore it down completely again)?

I'm intrigued with the polishing and have a box torn down right now on the bench...and my brothers input shaft is starting to get noisy too. Hmm.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Jeez, sorry about that. I haven't really inspected how the lubrication works out on the end, when that happens does it automatically mean the the bearings are all wrecked?

Or can you stop soon enough to keep things clean in the main case (I assume that's why you tore it down completely again)?

I'm intrigued with the polishing and have a box torn down right now on the bench...and my brothers input shaft is starting to get noisy too. Hmm.
When the second 5th gear broke in the stock box I just left it because I was already getting ready to build the box with the Quaife. I drove it for probably 1500~2000 miles including the time after the first failure before the shifting started to get difficult. Fluid change fixed that and about a week or 2 after that a piece of 5th got into the final drive and made some nasty sounds and I parked it while I finished the gearbox. When I tore it apart the only wear I noticed was on the synchro rings and a couple of chips on the final drive. The fluid was really metallic on the first fluid change but looked fine when I tore it down. I didn't notice any abnormal bearing wear and almost all of the pieces from the destruction of 5th were still in the end cover. When the built box failed I pulled off on the shoulder of the interstate and trailered the car back to the shop, so it hasn't been driven since. I only tore it all the way back down because I wanted to clean it out. I just never had time and got involved in other things. It's gonna be a project car in a couple of years when I finish school and wont use the Saab drivetrain anymore :thumbup:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You think there is any problem with the Quaife being subjected to that contaminated fluid?
The Quaife wasn't in that gearbox. It was only in the gearbox for the final failure and the car was trailered from where it failed to where it sits right now, so no. Also, the quaife has no wear parts. Anything that would have damaged the Quaife would've damaged the rest of the gearbox as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts