Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I swear, sometimes it seems like someone is out to make life complicated. I recently removed the a/c belt on my brother's 83 Celica for him, since his compressor was about to lock up. Not worth the cost to him, so no a/c. My gf has an Isuzu, same deal on this, a/c toasted a bearing. I was able to run a shorter belt to bypass, we'll see if it gets replaced or not. I told her if its that warm, just take the top off it, since its removable on this one.

My car, however, has no such option. I walked out to the woodpile for another log for the fire a few minutes ago, and hear a hissing noise from under the car. Two days ago, I was tempted to shoot a very large 20lb-ish opossum making a similar noise, who decided it was his woodpile. However by the time I retrieved the shotgun, he was gone, to wherever such evil creatures go to hide. This time, it wasn't a nasty creature, but freon spewing forth from a cracked line.

All I could see was some green residue on the hard a/c line by the compressor. I moved the line as best I could, and it changed the tone of the noise. So its a leak somewhere in the line or the connection. Maybe a rock bounced up and hit it, but I sure didn't notice anything. Since I've run without a/c in several cars, I know it won't kill me. But I really liked this working compressor too. What would you guys do in this situation? I think its just hard line to the condensor, item 4 on this link. eEuroparts - Search Results

Am I going to hurt anything by leaving this until later when I feel the need to fix it? It looks like its just going to cost me a $90 line, and some freon and compressor oil. Worth it? It was fine prior. Or can I short belt this and do away with the whole damn thing without too much trouble?

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
The only danger is if moisture gets into the system, reciver/dryer may need to be replaces at a minumum need to pull a vacuum on it.

Maybe on the of connections on the hose got loose?

·
10,303 Posts
You really need to take a Crazy Rays run.

And yes, there is a serp belt that bypasses the AC, see either my or Aireeca's thread on it.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You really need to take a Crazy Rays run.

And yes, there is a serp belt that bypasses the AC, see either my or Aireeca's thread on it.
I keep hearing about that place, seems like where all the cool kids go for their used Saab parts in the DC area. Anyone heading there anytime soon? I usually end up going to junkyards on my own, but sometimes certain pieces are easier to retrieve with second set of hands and more knowledge.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Either bypass it or leave it as is for now... And fix in the summer if need be

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well its not the compressor, and that still works, so it stays. I'm going to try and find time to hit Crazy Rays with a list of stuff I want/need and just get the line then, since they list ac lines for about $10. Grab two to be sure, and still be ahead of the game if I bought new.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts