Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i start up in the mornings my car takes an exteneded amount of time...i measured the bat voltage 12.3v when car was off and while running 14.1v...so i was reading over at www.thesaabsite.com and read that the fuel check valve could be sticking open...so i looked for it on there and only found it for the 900...the 9-3 only sold the new fuel pumps...so i was wondering would the 8.00 dollar check valve for the 900 work on mine? thanks

·
Registered
156 Posts
I don't think that's your problem. The fuel check valve is there to prevent fuel draining back into the tank. If it's faulty, you'll only have hard starting problems with a hot engine as there would be vapour lock in the empty fuel lines.

I'm assuming the car runs well once it's started?

Do some standard maintenance first:
spark plugs correct type, properly gapped? Use OEM recommended only.
check those vacuum hoses for leaks. Easy to change.
clean the IAC valve, throttle body
check your battery connections, especially where it ground to the chassis.
Note:
If your battery is two years old or more, it's going.
Run a bottle of concentrated injector cleaner through, it helps unclog the nozzles. Or you can get the injectors professionally cleaned.
Also run a bottle of fuel system cleaner through, this helps remove any accumulated moisture in the tank and fuel lines, etc.

You'd be surprised at the difference all these steps make.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the 9-3 runs like a champ once i get her started but...will go ahead and replace the spark plugs and run the cleaners through....i have never delt with the hoses on a car before....which ones are the vacuum ones? is it just un-clamp and replace? also when i went to the dealer to try and get my radio code they said they needed my radio serial number along with the vin number....said its gunna cost $44 buck for me to get it...should i call someplace else? i know its kinda alot of questions but thanks in advance :D

·
Registered
156 Posts
The vacuum hoses are easy. You just pull them off (one at a time) and replace with new. It's standard vacuum hose (4 mm I think) at any auto parts shop. You'll need about 3 meters (15 ft) of the stuff.
Took me an afternoon and a couple of beers.

Note: be extremely careful with the one with the check valve from the throttle body to the crankcase. The fitting breaks very easily, it's better to cut the hose off the plastic bit. I had to learn the hard way :(

The turbos are somehow brand conscious when it comes to spark plugs. Only OEM (NGKs) resistor types seem to work well.

Some dealers will give you the radio code for free. The reasoning behind wanting the radio code and the VIN number is that they just want to make sure it's not a stolen item is all. That's quite a lot of money to pay for a couple of numbers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts