Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if they was any good exhaust upgrades. For a 9k I cant really find any info on the topic so I was wondering if some of you guys can help. It can be anything. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,442 Posts
Find a good exhaust shop and get one custom made. Best thing I did for my c900.

Otherwise GS has a JT 3" DP/exhaust and a 2.5" cat back.

·
Registered
12,348 Posts
The downpipe is a significant improvement over the stock setup. That first bend off the turbo is pretty tight.

For the $ the JT is hard to beat. I owned one for 7 years and I believe 86SPG is using it on his 9000.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
The only thing I hate about the current JT systems for 9000's are the tail pipe finisher tip - Personally I would hack that off and fit a nice looking one and sell the JT one on e-bay to some Honda guy. Aside from that - JT is a nice system, and moderate tone. My 9000 has the front 1/2 of a first generation JT downpipe, a CATCO 3" Cat, and a Magnaflow Straight Through, No Baffle Muffler - rest was custom fitted @ a local Mineke for $500 over the $140 parts I had. JT is what I am buying/modifing when my custom exhaust rots.

JT 3" Exhaust;

My 2004/2005 9-2X Aero Tip on Custom 3" Exhaust:

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
How much is this better then stock?
Much much better than stock in sound and function. The JT exhaust will show a major performance gain ( w/ open air intake and a tune)

I had a full JT system for a long while and then got this DP when doing a yurbo upgrade. S Im using Barry's DP and the rest JT. Sadly he is no longer making these. He also did a run of Satinless full 3inch exhausts that mcrowly has i believe.
This is Barry's 3inch DP which is modular (can be broken down into pieces) with 3inch high flow cat and flexpipe

·
Registered
12,348 Posts
Where and How Much? Sound level? I like louder growl and burbles.
Barry (posts on here as Aerodyte) designed and had them made. Matt has his downpipe. I think he sold just the downpipes for $550. The complete ss turbo back w/clamps, tip, mufflers, flex, etc was about $1200. Expensive, yes...but it'll never need to be replaced. It was on my car at Carlisle this year...pretty sure you were there... I should have it out at New Salem next Saturday as well.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
$1200 is a lot of beans - but if it's the last exhaust ever installed it's not a bad idea. I'll have to pay attention to your 9000 this time :) I try to avoid it's glimmer since It's always perfect everytime I see it. lol - I'll have to hear it, I should be up for the Saab Festival next weekend.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Mike, I didn't realize the whole thing is modular with vbands, very nice indeed

-you guys have fun next weekend, cant make it, Phish shows take president in the next couple of weeks

·
Registered
385 Posts
I was wondering if they was any good exhaust upgrades. For a 9k I cant really find any info on the topic so I was wondering if some of you guys can help. It can be anything. Thanks!
The down pipe is the biggest bang for yer buck. But the improvements while genuine ain't huge.
This may sound odd :) But the JT downpipes (i've seen) are mediocre, at best, quality and wayyy overpriced.
A local Kid had a SS downpipe custom fabricated and fitted for his 9k at a local Hot Rod Shop. Perfect! workmanship and it was approx $175 ..the typical Hot Rod flawless everything. Shop guys found it an 'interesting' challenge, so they did it without greed as their main motive.
Find yourself a decent competent shop and ask, could certainly be worth it.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I made my entire 3" exhaust for less than $400.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts