Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys...I'm looking for some advice since clearly, my first go round with this was unsuccessful. Details: Over the summer I redid my suspension, also pulled subframe to clean oil pan. Snapped turbo to DP stud during this process...which in turn led to the discovery that one of my manifold studs was cracked off in the block. Car had been run in that condition for an unknown period of time (Naturally the one behind the PS pump, requiring even more shit come off the car.) Drilled that sucker out. Retapped slightly larger. Installed everything, I put the gasket metal side to the block, papery side to the manifold (correct? Or am I an idiot?)

Here I am about 3 months post, it's 10 degrees in Pittsburgh, I've got nowhere to work and there's about 6" of snow on the ground.

That same stud? The exhaust gases burnt through the gasket and the bottom half around that new bolt fell out, so it's making a ton of noise.

Advice? Clearly I've got to get in there and replace the gasket again (FML, seriously) Did I put it on backwards? I tightened things down pretty well, would have figured this wouldn't have happened...My dad is suggesting I remove the stud from the block and JB weld it in place? Or is the place where they meet warped from being run with a leak there?

Help me saablink, you're my only hope.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
That's rough, snow and all. Sorry to hear that. I'm not sure about the gasket, but sounds like something isn't mating right between manifold and head. That's my extent of advice, maybe someone else can chime in.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I have almost every manifold "Faced" Machined, What ever, If the gasket blew once before and Popped a stud then your Manifold is warped, Its worth the 20 bucks to get the manifold "Fixed" so you don't have to do this again..

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do I need to worry about decking the block side as well? Cause seriously ill probably just kill myself before I pull the whole head. Haha.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also I suppose I should ask...what are the thoughts on the jb weld for the stud? do they sell an extra 'puffy' gasket to deal with problems like this? recommendations on gasket? did I install it right? lastly...is it ok to drive like this till the weekend? cause that's the soonest ill be able to get to it...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts