Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a hole in my exhaust and feel that it may be affecting my gas mileage and power. i have a '94 900se turbo. i also have been getting an intermitent cel on my O2 sensor. do you think this is related or is there something else wrong. i just replaced the O2 sensor a year ago and actually have even taken it out and cleaned surfaces to make sure there is good contact. my car runs very rich too.

regards,

Ben Y.

·
10,303 Posts
I would only guess yes, if the leak was before the 02 sensor. If it is behind, it shouldn't be messing anything up. For fun, remove the 02 sensor, and use a wire wheel on a dremel tool, and clean the threads of the bung, and sensor.

·
Registered
392 Posts
On the topic of O2 sensors...My check engine light went on and i took it to the dealer where they told me i need a new one because oil from my cone filter apparently hit the sensor or soemthing. Well they gave me an estimate, and at 368 dollars i figured someone on the site has to be able to help me out. I love Saabs but why the hell does everything have to be so expensive. Everyone else can go to Pep Boys and buy an O2 sensor for like 20 bucks. Any advice would be greatly appreciated because Im not about to spend nearly 400 bills for this stupid ass sensor :evil:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Same thing happened to me, just over a year and 24,000 miles and the sensor has died.
The dealer price for the sensor here in Thailand is USD155, probably about the same as you guys as it is imported. But you guys really get knocked on labour :shock: . The total labour for changing one O2 sensor and two idler pulleys came up to a grand total of USD12. (Yes, it's not a misprint - as in twelve)
Also, since I griped about changing it so soon after the last one, they gave me a 50% discount on the sensor :) .

I do not use additives (like Slick, etc) in the oil any more as I believe they contaminated the sensor in my old Ford. Using a good synthetic oil is a lot better.

You should be able to use a generic O2 sensor, some people already are. The only problem is that you have to splice the wires to the connector yourself.

For some info:
http://www.oxygensensors.com/

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the whole actually is in the flex pipe. i am going to cut it out this weekend and weld a peice of pipe in to fix the hole. i will certainly wait and see what happens with the hole fixed. just thought i might be able to find some answers.

thanks,

Ben Y.

·
Registered
392 Posts
rcm, what I was told is that in the pre oiled filters, the oil eventually can turn into a very fine dust and it is possible for the intake to suck in the dust and hit the o2 sensor, which is basically shot if this happens - and thanks for the info about replacing!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts