Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to make my car a black and grey everywhere as possible. I need some help :).

First thing I did was pick up this stuff called Forever Black. It turned my grey bumbper and interior plastics permanetly black. It's a dye (kind of a shoe polish type thing), so they're really black, not just shiny. Since I put it on people think I bought all new parts for the interior and a new bumper. I can't reccomend this enough. http://store.superior-carcare.net/forblacbumtr.html

I wanted the interior under the dash (from the temperature controls back to the arm rest) even blacker, and they were pretty faded, so I painted them with some plastic specific black spraypaint, and it came out _very_ nicely to my suprise!

Now, the exterior door handles are pretty much ruined (faded and scratched). The forever black helped, but they still look awful. I think I need to paint them. I don't know if the interior paint I used would work - or if I can even paint these, as they might stop moving or sometihng awful. Anyone ventured into doing this?

Finally I need to make the grille black. It is pitted out chrome right now. I have no idea hwere to start on this... I've seen a few of you on here have painted it - how?

Thanks for any help ^^! Hope I can help out anyone trying to restore their faded parts too!

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
grill painting:

Clean grill with soap and water.

Rough up chrome real good with coarse sandpaper, or remove chrome alltogether if you are really ambitious.

sand with a finer sandpaper to smooth.

clean with soap and water, dry THOROUGHLY.

apply 2-3 coats of adhesion promoter. Dry, but while still active (after 30 minutes but within 12 hours) apply sandable filler primer (this primer fills in cracks and crevices). let dry and sand smooth with ultra fine paper.

Apply a few coats of primer.

dry thoroughly, then apply several coats of black laquer paint. Do many thin coats as opposed to few thick coats, this will help resist chipping. also helps prevent drip marks.

Let dry thoroughy!

Apply several coats of clear coat laquer paint. I cured mine for a few days in warm dry area before even trying to re-assemble the grill and installing it. i had not given it enough time to cure/dry previsouly and it chipped easily. The second time it has been about a half a year, and no chips at all yet!

good luck.
this project took me several days, with thorough drying and plenty of time between paint coats. Do it right once, be patient, or else you will have to do the whole process over again.

Or, just take it to a body shop. :wink:

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
p.s. can you post some pics of your bumpers and trim after being treated with that Forever Black???

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
abdukted1456 said:
p.s. can you post some pics of your bumpers and trim after being treated with that Forever Black???
Yeah I'll have pics of everything as soon as I find my camera. I had taken allot of them but I odn't know where it went. Might have left it at a friends. :roll:

Thanks ofr the tips on the grille. I'll get started (and finsihed if all goes well( this weekend!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts