Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Straight out of VM's mouth, through Jalopnik:

6th Gear: I sat down yesterday with Saab CEO Victor Muller to talk about the future of Saab and Saab-ophiles. The good news is he feels very strongly that every vehicle should get a Hirsch Performance version. The bad news is that, yes, that will also include a tuned version of the 9-4X crossover. More to come from my discussions with Muller, as well as new Chief Operating Officer of Saab North America, Timothy Colbeck, and Jason Castriota, Saab's lead designer.
The Morning Shift: RIP Robert Stempel, VW Golf GTI Edition 35, and the new BMW "4 Series"

Apparently Jalopnik has more SAAB news coming later, as they apparently had a good talk with Muller, Castriota and Colbeck.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^ You are absolutely correct, and I'm sure limited is what they'll have in mind. There is no point in making the performance version the main version as it dilutes the image that comes with it. See 911 Turbo, Impreza STi, Audi RS6, BMW M3 CSL, etc...

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
^ You are absolutely correct, and I'm sure limited is what they'll have in mind. There is no point in making the performance version the main version as it dilutes the image that comes with it. See 911 Turbo, Impreza STi, Audi RS6, BMW M3 CSL, etc...
See that's where you're wrong.

It acts as a halo providing overall lift in awareness and opinion of a brand.

You better believe that the person who buys the Cayenne brags about it having the "same brakes as a 911"

Or how a CTS coupe owner says it's the same chassis that Cadillac races with.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts

You better believe that the person who buys the Cayenne brags about it having the "same brakes as a 911"

This.

It's why companies strive to create a racing heritage of some sort -- F1, WRC, DTM, ALMS, BTCC, etc -- because there's a definite, measurable marketing bump from the "halo effect."

Saab desperately needs a real halo car, but the overpriced Hirsch silliness isn't going to cut it. Screw Hiesch....it's for Eurocentric fuckwits able to pay double the going rates for improvements. Carbon fiber key fobs, billet glove-box buttons and blingy shit like that.

I'd have more respect from something cooked up by Trollspeed, the guys who tuned Per Eklund's crazy cars. Do a Trollspeed tuned edition, use Eklund in the marketing, and the racing heritage is built in.

...but Saab wouldn't do that....because it makes too much sense. ;)

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Same thing as I said, but put differently, maybe I didn't make myself clear. If every car in the line was a performance car then there would be no base models and there would be no trickle down effects like you mentioned. The performance car needs to be special, and not be most of the cars made. Those that have the lesser versions get to do the bragging you talk of. Without the exclusivity of the performance car there would be nothing to brag about.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
IIRC my 90 spg had a larger turbo as well as some tuning adjustments... not substantial enough really IMO but still. I could be wrong though, my c900 knowledge is lacking.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
SPG was a damn body kit and some springs.

Same shit, different, newer, more elaborate flavor on the Hirsch stuff.
Higher boost - airflow panel (kit), springs and a debage. I also think JLausch is right about the larger turbo on later ones - not certain.

My point was persay the name sake could be re-used as a division for make a modern take on the SPG of the day. Use the name Special Performance Group and hire some factory tuners to make a limited production model. Offer it for a premium - but nothing out of sensible that it doesn't sell. The Turbo X was a decent take, but poorly executed IMHO - it was slow as shit for a 2.8T with AWD (in stock form). Give that concept an extra 50-80bhp and you got a nice machine out of the box. I'd say how about a lower stiffer better handling 9-5 Sedan/Wagon - but that seems to be the norm of the 2010+ model already. Give us a 300bhp 4 cylinder! Saab = Economy + Power

·
Registered
87 Posts
I don't trust this guy and he will say anything to get by just one more day. I called a few dealers about the Hirsch upgrades and they don't even know what you are talking about. Two have said they were on some list but they never asked to be on it and were still trying to figure it out.

This fellow we all had great hope for and when you look at what he says it is all very thin and general or promises far down the road. I will be stopping by one of the performance dealers tomorrow and ask them.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I don't trust this guy and he will say anything to get by just one more day. I called a few dealers about the Hirsch upgrades and they don't even know what you are talking about. Two have said they were on some list but they never asked to be on it and were still trying to figure it out.

This fellow we all had great hope for and when you look at what he says it is all very thin and general or promises far down the road. I will be stopping by one of the performance dealers tomorrow and ask them.
Several months ago i was told by my cohorts that still work at a dealer that the Hirsch option was comming soon. That was long before this thread poped up. We can only wait and see.

·
Registered
294 Posts
This 'fuckwit' would gladly pay for the Hirsch upgrade to my 2010 9-3X.

As I have 3000 miles on the car, I will pay the premium for a tune that costs 500 dollars more than non-factory tune (BSR, others), and keeps the factory warranty intact.

Now....where to get it!? I've seen the list of dealers and none are close. I've emailed Hirsch directly and got no response on USA availability as well. :(

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
Higher boost - airflow panel (kit), springs and a debage. I also think JLausch is right about the larger turbo on later ones - not certain.
BFD. 0-5hp more on the early models? WOW! Later models with 15hp more than the standard Turbo is slightly better, but they still weren't rocket ships.

No larger turbo.

It was either a T3, or a Te05 on later models, and that's it.
Eggsackery! As far as hardware goes, the changes were very minimal over a regular 900 turbo from the same year.

·
Registered
87 Posts
But several months ago we were not fully aware of the troubles of Saab and those Swiss are a wary bunch when it comes to business. It is almost as if the project went dead but no one will acknowledge it. It would have been nice but as time goes on it becomes less of a thing to hold on to. I will be having lunch with one of the fellows tomorrow who used to be one of the Saab performance people and he should have a clue. We can all hope but just making announcements that are not grounded in fact is not good for anyone.

I wonder if some of the start up costs were being paid by Hirsch and now they are getting shy. How is Hirsch in Europe doing and that should be the biggest clue?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts