Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to try the blue ones just to see what they were like because replaciing silverstars is pretty expensive. I was 99% sure these would suck because I have heard mixed reviews but I thought i would try anyways, i guess I was bored.

Verdict: EURODEZIGNS ARE GARBAGE. A total waste.

good points:
-cheap!
-blueish light output looks not as blue as others that are pathetic xenon/HID imitation and excessively "ricey", not blue enough to attract attention from the police.
-"warranty" (more on that later)

Bad points:
-shipping and handling was 7 dollars each item (14 dollars) and they sent both together jam-packed in a flimsy unprotected 99 cent envelope for only 2.45 postage!
-arrived in cracked/damaged case!!
-dimmer than stock bulbs, WAY dimmer than silverstars
-H1 foglights fit so poorly, they fall right out of the sockets, totally useless
-"warranty" states you must pay shipping and handling both ways, so you basically are not getting anything free, you are just buying more crappy bulbs. you pay 6 bucks to send the old ones back, and then another 6 or 7 to pay for shipping for the new ones. considering they send them for only 2.45 postage, and the bulbs are probably worth 3 dollars, they are still making a profit.
-cheap!
-they advertise on ebay showing pics of a car with real HID and then add extra color with photoshop, then claim this is what the bulbs will do/look like. They look nothing like the photos.

next i am trying some bulbs from midnight moose, they should be much better. I still like silverstars best so far.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Just save upa little and get some HID from ebay

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Thanks for the review. I was actually wondering about them.

Definately try Midnight Moose, especially since we get a group discount from them. Im unsure if our discount is still active but that information should be posted in the TSL Discounts thread.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Anyone interested in an HID kit....AutoAccessory.com is offering them.

When I told them I've seen some folks on some of the SAAB forums with HID's, they offered a discount since they noted I'm an enthusiast, and told me to recommend to others here if they want a discount as well.

I got the violet/blues...just under the illegal ones that are too bright. But make sure you check to see that you have H4's before you order, because they will send the universal type, that don't have the hi-beams.

regards

·
Registered
352 Posts
But make sure you check to see that you have H4's before you order, because they will send the universal type, that don't have the hi-beams.
what does that mean?

i know what hids are but can you give the specifics?

and where on autoaccessory did you get them?
what brand, or can you give links to it?

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Blaque Out, yes the discount is still active, I tried it and it works. Basically got me free shipping, very nice! 8)

As far as HID goes, I thought all HID that is aftermarket was illegal. Due to the fact that a proper HID kit is more than the bulbs and ballasts, the housing needs to be designed for HID and focused properly through a proper lens to minimize glare. I also thought there was some new law against it or a law pending that may outlaw all HID, even OEM??? I looked at the DOT website and did not see anything. I would be interested to get HID if I knew it was OK and that I was not being selfish and blinding others so I can see better. I keep running into people whose lights are too bright and it blinds me and I wanna hurt them! I don't wanna be that guy just to look cool.

DC, what do you mean, just under too bright? A certain color temp???

·
Registered
745 Posts
http://www.autoaccessorystore.com/h...id=18&sub_name=HIDs&sec_id=51&sec_name=Helios

There are about 4 to 5 different color shades, but take a look here.

I'm using the HELIO's product.

The 12000k's are supposed to be illegal in some states because of their brightness...as to the other concerns I couldn't speak to them being illegal in your state, but NY, and MD doesn't have a problem with them yet.. Apparently a patent on HID's doesn't exist yet, and some states outlawed them if they are installed as an aftermarket product, but not all.

The BMW dealerships use 5500K which lights up the road more, where as the higher series like the 6000k 7000k..and so on actually are more bluish in color.

The universal kit comes in a low beam configuration only. I preferred the one below.. in a hi-low beam configuration. But never really need the hi-beams.

Why HID's....; they last 10 times longer, resemble natural light better, 10 times brighter, requires about half the power, and you shouldn't see any dimming on power surges. Sorry if that sounds commercial, but its what sold me....rather than mimicing the look, I wanted to get the real thing.

For install instructions on the basic kit... I found the following if it helps
http://www.autoaccessorystore.com/hid_installation.htm

regards

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it says right at the bottom of the page:

* Note: not all products featured are legal for use on public roads in some countries, states, or localities. Please check with your governing agency for specific information.
* Due to recent regulatory developments, DOT/NHTSA will penalize the use of HID Retrofit system on highway or public road in USA. Please contact us for additional information.
* MimoUSA.com does not endorse any illegal use of the HID conversion kits. All of the kit components are top quality and are certified by the Department of Transportation but are not certified as retrofit.

I guess these kits are really nice but it is taking a risk of a ticket or failed inspection.

·
Registered
352 Posts
also DC, make sure you get the H4 conversion kit,

i guess there are kits for H1, H4, H7, etc...they are made specifically for a type of socket i'm guessing

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/nhtsa/announce/press/pressdisplay.cfm?year=2004&filename=pr43-04.html

NHTSA ILLEGAL LIGHTING CRACKDOWN CONTINUES
Continuing its crackdown against manufacturers and suppliers of illegal lighting equipment, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) today announced its decision that high intensity discharge (HID) conversion kits produced by a Texas company do not comply with federal safety standards.

The owner of ASTEX USA, a supplier of aftermarket HID kits, was ordered to conduct a recall campaign and provide a no-cost solution to the customer. The company is based in Dayton, TX. When installed in a motor vehicle, the HID kits "can be expected to produce excessive glare to oncoming motorists and others," NHTSA said in its decision.

To date, NHTSA has investigated 24 HID conversion kit suppliers; all investigations have resulted in recalls or termination of sales.

"These illegal lights are a potential hazard to those who share the road," said NHTSA Administrator Jeffrey Runge, MD. "And we will continue to pursue those offering them for sale and violating the law."

Companies that sell, import or manufacture non-compliant equipment could face substantial civil penalties, NHTSA said.

###

so does not look like I am doing this mod anytime soon.

·
Registered
745 Posts
abdukted1456 said:
it says right at the bottom of the page:

* Note: not all products featured are legal for use on public roads in some countries, states, or localities. Please check with your governing agency for specific information.
* Due to recent regulatory developments, DOT/NHTSA will penalize the use of HID Retrofit system on highway or public road in USA. Please contact us for additional information.
* MimoUSA.com does not endorse any illegal use of the HID conversion kits. All of the kit components are top quality and are certified by the Department of Transportation but are not certified as retrofit.

I guess these kits are really nice but it is taking a risk of a ticket or failed inspection.
I saw that too..

Know your state...because i had the very same conversation during my research. Its a matter of interpretation, because even changing out the bulbs for a similar affect could cause the same problem.

The lower grade types to light up the road more.......the lower you go..the brighter the lighting....hence the 5500k are much brighter than the 7000k (bluish).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts