Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a place that sells ethonel free gas, I'm wondering what sort of performance gain if any there would be.

Discuss.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
we have one near us and you can get 87 89 93 octane ethanol free gas. a little pricey and definitely not worth it. everyone swears buy it that races around here but i have never found a difference on my stg 1 Vig. the thing to look for is a Sunoco station that sells 110 octane! that makes things VERY fun!

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
i would have thought you would have rather found an E85 station. i know i wish we had those around here. either that or i need a water/meth injection system

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
from what i read it's a 25% loss of mpg according to JZW and also almost a buck cheaper per gallon. so i dont think you'd end up spending much more per tank

·
Registered
12,348 Posts
we have one near us and you can get 87 89 93 octane ethanol free gas. a little pricey and definitely not worth it. everyone swears buy it that races around here but i have never found a difference on my stg 1 Vig. the thing to look for is a Sunoco station that sells 110 octane! that makes things VERY fun!
What station around here has the non-ethanol in all grades? I know the no-name station in Glenmont has no-ethanol 93.

Runway Exp. on Altamont Ave in Sch. has 112 at the pump :)

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Non-Ethanol will basically just keep your small-engine carbs from gumming up, and keep stuff that you don't use often, operational.

Put ethanol gas in a lawnmower and let it sit all winter.....you'll need a carb cleaning in the spring guaranteed. Stuff turns to sludge.

For performance gain......pfft. Not on our cars.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Sunoco 110... anyone run this? I have seen it on at a few places before and was very tempted.
I have. It's not considered street legal, so I only drove it in Mexico.*

Srsly tho, I've used it at autocross events and stuff. It allows you to up your boost to a higher level with less worries of predetonation. However, on a T5/7, you'd need a tune to do it. I don't know that you'd actually feel any difference otherwise since these computers boost to a specific set torque regardless of fuel octane.

I did mine on the SPG I had at the time, and simply cranked on the wastegate, tweeked the APC and went racing. T'was fun!

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
what would happen if I mixed the 112 and e85 in my flex fuel stage 3++ wagon???? :twisted:
probably nothing. E85 is pretty high octane already, and mixing 112 with it might get you somewhere in the middle of the two.

That being said, on a stage 3 car (18-20psi?), regular 93 octane pump gas will suffice just fine, and your knock / timing retard will be minimal. You MIGHT get a little better performance by getting rid of most all knock, but gain will be scare, if not non-existent.

Performance aside, I used to run 110 leaded in my '69 Camaro, which absolutely NEEDED it, but the best part was that the exhaust would sting your eyes, and smelled AWESOME!

**huffing exhaust**

·
Registered
422 Posts
I've done lots-o-logging on my wife's car, and my mom & dad are on board as well(MPG nazi's(logging every fill up with miles and gallons used))...filling up with premium here (92), 10% ethanol vs 0% ethanol.... there is a seat of the pants difference as well as running the 10% ethanol drops our gas mileage by an average of 3 MPG (non ethanol yields more power by the butt dyno and better gas mileage)... So when filling up, we try and coordinate so we'll be near the non-ethanol gas stations while out on errands or whatever. I'm all for growing our own fuel and all, but I want the choice, I don't need it dictated to me........fine if everything was designed to run on it, but IT'S NOT.... 90% of gas stations here don't have it.......it's mixed at the distribution center and only a few gas stations carry non-ethanol (mostly by the lake and mostly because of the boats)....... on the other hand... my other car runs on E85, and it's equally as challenging to find!.. go figure........ Ethanol is a great solvent....run it in your lawn mowers, weed eaters, boats... let it sit for awhile and it WILL ruin your stuff.....period....

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.