Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The lock on my 53 reg 95 estate tailgate has failed. It's stuck on lock - the local Saab dealer can't get it open.

If I play with the locking I can (sometimes) hear the lock attempting to work, and then even less frequently it opens/closes.

There doesn't seem to be a manual option to use the key like there is on the main doors. The dealer says they could take out the interior panel to get at it, but they'll probably damage that & it'll cost more than replacing the lock to replace the panel!

Anyone have any ideas on getting the thing open so they can replace the lock?

TIA

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
What year is your wagon? Some of them have a lock cylinder you can turn with the key that's covered by a little round trim button - pry it out and use the key if you do.

If you hear the motor trying to move then the actuator might be getting weak and will need replaced.

Another common thing is the wiring starts to crack where it runs through the hinges, if the actuator wire frays and starts to corrode it doesn't send full current to the actuator and you'll see it twitch, but doesn't have enough force to overcome the lock, so that would be a wiring repair.

Very rarely the problem is actually the TWICE computer, the lock actuators are controlled by TWICE, and I've seen them 'lose' their memory that they're a 5-door instead of a 4-door, and re-programming the TWICE box sometimes makes them work again, only seen that one on two occassions, could see the actuator twitch, but not open the lock.

Drew

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a second half of reg 2003. There's a blanking plate by the right hand light cluster, but no lock cylinder behind it!

I did hear the motor for a while, and it would intermittently lock/unlock, but it's gone all quiet now, so quite possibly died completely.

Trouble is to fix the problem, the tailgate needs to be open, but the problem is.........

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ooh - thank you!

For reasons I can't fathom it started unlocking/locking with the remote for long enough to get it fixed, so I'm glad to say I'll file this for future reference, rather than having to use it right now.

Thanks for all the help

1 - 5 of 5 Posts