Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WEll ill tell what happened with me and the taurus eric can add whatever he wants to this and tell what his fun with it was as well.......well i race this taurus...first off the line.... he gets a jump on me right off the bat but doesnt pull after that... so then we pull a u-turn and go from a roll..... yep i pull nicely we go back to where we started, everyone is saying do it again do it again... so well we go from a dig again and i pull him pretty hard till i hit 3rd where i notice my car is only hitting 10psi whereas it was hitting 13-14 in first and second.... well we go to the uturn again but the light ahead is read this time so we line up at it and i pull him really hard this time maybe 1 car 2 cars, then slam on the brakes and stop :D

gotta love this t7... recalibrating itself all the time :roll:
ive been hitting consistent 14psi all day today... y not yesterday when i needed it o man the track is gonna be quite an experience

·
Registered
546 Posts
It was an interesting night. Hung out with Ricot83 in CT, shooting the shit at the local Dunkin Doughnuts. There's a Grand National, Cobra Mustang, a blown Camaro, mine and Rico's Saab and this kid with a Ford Taurus SHO. We'll hanging out trying to get a race going. The kid with the Taurus is talking like his car is fast. I don't give the car a second thought, it looks like a crappy sedan and I put it at 150 hp. Well apparently I didn't know what a SHO was. I looked up the stats and it's a 220 hp V6 with 200 ft-lbs. Nothing impressive but if you had seen the car you would understand my surprise. I never raced him flat out, but I should have. We played a bit on the highway and I had no problem, but I was surprised that SHO kept up at all.
SHO Stats
http://home.pon.net/hunnicutt/SHOpage.htm

·
7,595 Posts
the engine in those can rev up to 8 grand, but the belts sure can't! :lol: Ford put a soft rev limit on them around 6500 to keep all the serpentine belt from lasting 5000 miles before it was time to replace it. they make an interesting beater car, for a $1400 car (what they go for now) they are a good value, the yamahammer / ford 5spd is the longest lasting taurus you can buy. probably one of the only taurus models that have the body fall apart before the engine will...

·
Registered
546 Posts
We need to get a pic of the car up here. It’ll help everyone understand why we sound so shocked.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Ya my friend has a silver SHO, the silver ones are the only 5speeds (from what he says?). and he was running a 15.1 with it.

He used to rev at honduh's, they would laugh. He would give them 2 car lengths then go and just blow by them.

It is defently an interesting car.

Ian

·
Registered
79 Posts
I don't know why I'm posting this, maybe to set a few things straight.

I hate to be an A-Hole, But you guys don't know a thing about SHO'S.
I've been building and tuning SHO's long before I ever got behind the wheel of a Saab.
1.) 5-speed cars built 89-95/ Strongest MTX ever built
2.) Auto's built 93-95/ suck/ tranny cant take power/ also has 3.2L+25lbs tourqe more.
3.) I have never heard of rev limiters on SHO's ever. 5 speed cars will rev as high as you want, but you will most likly spin a Rod bearing ifyou go above 8000rpm. Auto's go right to 7000rpm/Redline and shift.I have never herad of serp belts wearing out, the only accessory drive belt system that cant take High rpm's is the Power Steering Pump, which had to be special made by Atsugi for the Yamaha motor.(7000+rpms)
4.) Color has nothing to do with what options the car comes with.
5.) The Yamaha engine is not a boat motor and I can say that it is arguably One of the top ten Production motors ever built.220HP 3.0LV6/ 73.3 HP per liter NA !!!!!!!! The only thing that helps a Saab have a chance to win a race with a SHO is fact theres a gosh darn TURBO under the hood.
The roots of that motor are it was Formula 1 race motor in the mid eighties. Obvisouly it was detuned slightly for the street. Originally the motor was going to make 300HP(100HP per liter/thats a supercar). But thanks to Ford and the failing Mustang product line, made them drop HP to 220 so as not to undersell the Mustang. It wouldn't be right to have a family sedan whoop the crap out of the companys muscle car.
If remember correctly from 1989 to 1991 the Taurus SHO was as fast or faster then any production V-8 car, with the exception of the Corvette on a bad day.
In 1989 there were only two faster four door sedans. The BMW M5 and 750il.

I will put my car in race against anyones Saab and SHOW you that a SHO aint your grandfathers FORD TAURUS. 15.2 1/4 NO problem, and my SHO is basically stock. If you see my Black Beauty in your Rear view BEWARE.
If had some money I put to toeghter a little sleeper car called a SHOGUN.
A ford festiva with a SHO drivetrian putting down power to the REAR WHEELS. rear engine rear drive.Were talking 12.5 secs in 1/4. Only 9 in the world.

GO Swift
GO Safe
Go Saab

·
Administrator
668 Posts
HAHA! I mean im not talking shit sure your car is ok... but I would laugh at you if you wanted to race me. :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Administrator
668 Posts
Sorry, that was mean im sure your american car is fast just compair to any decient car its a POS. and yea the only reason a saab would rape you is because of the turbo, the better design... and the only reason it looks better is becuase they know how to style a car, and the only reason it gets 30MPH and can still rape you is due to the 4 cil 2.3 ltr engine and low reving 5th gear. How the hell can you even compair an SHO to a saab... espically ANYONES saab... you gota be really carefull when you say that. a 94 N/A would lose to you but anyones saab wont. Keep that in mind next time you talk you shit about crappy POS american cars :evil:

·
Registered
475 Posts
The only experience I have with a SHO was a later V8 model and my friend in his 2001 Audi S4 could not keep up with him on the freeway from 60-110mph....period. Back in 1990 the SHO with a 5 speed and that much power was a hot ride. That was 15 model years ago however and man times have changed! The car isnt a classic, its not new, its not nice looking and good luck finding one that doesnt look like a piece of scrap metal. The point is, it's a Taurus and you see the thing and think beancan bucket slowpoke but then you try to fck with one and end up getting beat if you arent careful. You've got to give some respect to that just like an 11 second turbo Dodge Caravan. Laugh all the way to the starting line and then cry when you cross the 1/4 mile 5 car lengths back.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I've seen a good looking Taurus before. It was a solid black police edition. It had to look at it couple of times before I could figure out just what it was.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts