Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So its looking like I am going to need a new engine for my Saab 9-5...there was a long list of things worn out on my engine...its not worth rebuilding an engine in my opinion...

I found a 2007 Saab 9-5 Aero engine for 1.5K with 30K miles on it...anyone know what a garage would charge to swap engines...? I would do it myself, but I barely had time to swap turbos

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
So its looking like I am going to need a new engine for my Saab 9-5...there was a long list of things worn out on my engine...its not worth rebuilding an engine in my opinion...

I found a 2007 Saab 9-5 Aero engine for 1.5K with 30K miles on it...anyone know what a garage would charge to swap engines...? I would do it myself, but I barely had time to swap turbos
Rebuilding the motor can be worth it, its can be much easier than installing a new/used on in.

what failed on your old motor? is it just tired, or is there a real issue?

if its just a piston/ring/head related failure you can actully rebuild the motor in car, if it require removing the crank than a swap is needed,

a shop would charge anywhere from 700-1200 for a motor swap on a t7 car.\

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Still waiting...sometimes I go crazy when they start blaming things I have done to the engine as the problem...I dont think using larger copper washers on a turbocharger will cause the internals to explode...hoping to hear back today so I can get a parts list together for a rebuild...I really like the idea of have a custom rebuild done...they did say it was only 12 hours for an engine swap however so the total would be around 3K for an engine with 30K miles on it...think a rebuild would be cheaper with performance parts ?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Still waiting...sometimes I go crazy when they start blaming things I have done to the engine as the problem...I dont think using larger copper washers on a turbocharger will cause the internals to explode...
That is exactly why I will NOT take my car to ANY mechanic PERIOD. I will DIY or DIE. I think the whole business is a scam. About like health care.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Still waiting...sometimes I go crazy when they start blaming things I have done to the engine as the problem...I dont think using larger copper washers on a turbocharger will cause the internals to explode...hoping to hear back today so I can get a parts list together for a rebuild...I really like the idea of have a custom rebuild done...they did say it was only 12 hours for an engine swap however so the total would be around 3K for an engine with 30K miles on it...think a rebuild would be cheaper with performance parts ?
Sounds liek a wash 3K for 30Kengine including the swap or 3K to build yours with the swap but that is not a performance build

1 - 6 of 6 Posts