Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at getting my first saab. I don't know too much about cars but I am trying to learn. I found a nice condition 9-5 sedan with a blown motor. Labor isn't really an issue as me and a friend will be working on the car, and he has agreed to give me his time failry cheap.
My question is what is needed to rebuild an engine parts wise, and what would i be looking at for cost.
I was hoping to bore out the engine a little bit while I had it out, and improve performance (I was told drilling new holes costs about 12$/hole) If anyone has any questions about the car i can probably find it out. I can find a 9-5 stock engine for a few $$$ but was thinking if i could improve performance for around the same price i might as well.
thanks for the tips and help in advance :)

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Don't bore unless you have to, the 2.3 9-5 motor is sensitive to compression ratios, you will more likely hurt fuel mileage and get bad off boost drivability and no increase in performance.

Parts for a rebuild will go about 950 bucks, 550 for ALL timing/balance gear ( if you need all of it, there used to be a kit that saved a boatload but not) anymore. 75 main bearings, 75 rod bearings, 50 thrust bearings, gaskets 100, oil pump 100. 50 rings, wrist pins 50, various bolts etc 50...

If you go larger bore you are talking 550 more for pistons ( but will get new rings wrist pins and hardware. If you are going for more that 325 BHP you would need pistons anyways ( even stock bore)

Then you might need headwork ...

these are kinda spendy engines, but worth every penny

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't bore unless you have to, the 2.3 9-5 motor is sensitive to compression ratios, you will more likely hurt fuel mileage and get bad off boost drivability and no increase in performance.

Parts for a rebuild will go about 950 bucks, 550 for ALL timing/balance gear ( if you need all of it, there used to be a kit that saved a boatload but not) anymore. 75 main bearings, 75 rod bearings, 50 thrust bearings, gaskets 100, oil pump 100. 50 rings, wrist pins 50, various bolts etc 50...

If you go larger bore you are talking 550 more for pistons ( but will get new rings wrist pins and hardware. If you are going for more that 325 BHP you would need pistons anyways ( even stock bore)

Then you might need headwork ...

these are kinda spendy engines, but worth every penny
Thanks for the quick reply, I am hoping to make this car pretty fast (faster) then it already would be, i am not sure what I am going to be looking at for performance when I am finished with it, but over 300 sounds nice to me. What kind of pistons would i be looking at getting, what are the advantages to the stock ones?

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply, I am hoping to make this car pretty fast (faster) then it already would be, i am not sure what I am going to be looking at for performance when I am finished with it, but over 300 sounds nice to me. What kind of pistons would i be looking at getting, what are the advantages to the stock ones?
Stock tend to break after 320-330 HP ( at the crank) either JE or Wossner are good ...

For power above 300 all you need is good/better pistons and a big turbo...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.