Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bottom end fastners - reuseable?

Pulling together a parts list for my engine rebuild.Going with a Topmount GT30.

Can the bottom end fastners ( i.e., con rod and crankshaft bolts/nuts) be reused or should they be replaced with new?

Also, I see Eeuro has the con rod fastners, but nothing listed for the crankshaft. Anyone have those part numbers?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A little over 90k.
I will change them out to new.
Any one have part numbers for the main bolts and nuts?

·
Registered
151 Posts
When I was building my motor I talked to a lot of different people and everyone had a different take. I also talked to Nick T. and he said it's OK to reuse both, con rod and main, and shouldn't be a problem as long as you haven't done it before or multiple times. So, I went with Nick's recommendation - reused both since my motor was never cracked open before me.

7480643 I believe is the part number for rod bolts - I did my motor quite some time ago, so don't quote me on this.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This would be their first reuse, so sounds like I should be safe.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Dang..when the nuts and bolts are torqued Once, thats it..The bolt threads are stretched(that how they tighten) and the nuts are deformed a tiny bit..Buy the best New fasteners that you can every time you rebuild the engine internals and head. What are we talking about here..peanut butter and crackers..A $3000 engine wants and Needs new fasteners . Golly Gee Whiz.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts