Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I just got a V6 9-5 last week knowing it had a few issues, but I'm a bit worried that it may have more than I bargained for. I took care of a couple issues already, changed the MAF, installed a new blower motor and switched out the stepping motor arm. Now the check engine light is on most of the time and also flashes on occasion. The codes are P1300 and P0900, random misfire.

I plan on switching the DI's to see if the codes change and doing the spark plugs today. The car is driving great and I don't notice smoke from the tailpipe or any hesitation.

Any suggestions on what I should check?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
so i took off the DI on one side and pulled out a couple spark plugs...one had oil around it the others looked fine, put the DI back and the car won't stay on. HELP!

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Oil around the plug, like in the plug well, where the plugs thread into? Or oil on the tip like inside the combustion chamber?

If the plug wells are full of oil it will short the spark from the DI and misfire on that cylinder, you may need to replace the cam cover gaskets if they're leaking oil down on top of the plugs.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Drew's the dude for fixing these cars, but also, the DI can crack and leak cooling oil into the plug well as well, gotta clean that stuff out...

Also what plugs are you running it must be teh correct NGK plugs you can get those codes form a bad DI or some of those wierd plugs

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
More like oil around the plug, not on the tip but they all looked pretty burnt, too bad I can't drive it to get new ones :( Anyway, just did the spark plug test on the DI and everything looked good on that end, so I'm thinking ...would spark plugs be the culprit for not running? Oh, I also switched the FPR (Fuel pressure regulator) with one from my other saab just to make sure that wasn't it. And just to make sure that wan't it I switched it back. Seems like I am missing something because even with a misfire it started and ran great. Now it turns over and even runs for a few seconds then shuts off. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Could I have gotten air in the fuel line by switching out the FPR? I also checked the fuel pump and it sounds like its running back there. Spark plugs on the way tomorrow morning. I got the BKR7ES-11's since that was listed in the manual.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Maybe something happen when you changed the pressure regulator? Almost all the fuel pumps I changed, did what you are describing. They were making the engine run for a couple of seconds, after each starting attempt. Not all of them, some engines were completely dead. This tricked me a couple of times to belief it is NOT the pump, because: "How can a dead pump make enough pressure to start the engine?" I'm not saying it's your pump that is the problem, but maybe something with your fuel pressure? One of my bosses had a very good question, when I had fixed one problem, and a new problem come up, that wasn't there before. He asked me: "What did you touch, move or change?" "The problem was not there when you started, so you did something" He was not always right, but most of the time. Air in the system is gone in under a minute, or more like in seconds. How familiar are you with the electrical connector on the DI? Is the looking tab pushed all the way? It goes sideways...kind of.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I never touch a fuel regulator unless fuel is coming out of the hole for the vacuum line. They normally keep doing their job until the membran is worn out and fuel starts leaking thru.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts