Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Any of you guys happen to know the engine bay dimensions of longnose? I'd measure mine, but she's away in storage.
A 1.7 or 1.5 v4 motor, a four speed transmission, a really big heater, a radiator and in mine some oil that has leaked from the motor. What are you planning to stuff in there? I measure 29'' wide by 34'' long by 25'' deep

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Personally I would like to shove a Honda 4 cylinder or some nice n/a motor in mine..... something with modern FI and HP to start with, then go megasquirt.

At the same time an old school VW Diesel with a bolt on turbo would be sweet too...

Any idea on trans upgrades or FWD to RWD setups?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Personally I would like to shove a Honda 4 cylinder or some nice n/a motor in mine..... something with modern FI and HP to start with, then go megasquirt.

At the same time an old school VW Diesel with a bolt on turbo would be sweet too...

Any idea on trans upgrades or FWD to RWD setups?
I wouldn't want to make it to crazy, remeber it is only a 1900 lb car which is wounderfully engineered for a relatively lite drive train hanging over and sitting on the front axcel. I was thinking something like a 1.6 or 1.8 mazda miata or sould I say protege drive train. Not to much computer garbage to worry about plus they just run. I think the 1.6 is the better motor it seems to be more refined strangely.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I don't really know what I'm thinking... I can't afford anything right now. But I've been thinking aircooled VW... I know, it doesn't have more power or anything, but hey, it's kinda cool.

My main reason is that I can buy a complete, nearly new (read as less than 40 hours on it) 1500 air cooled VW engine, for about 600... thats only $150 more than a Weber Carb kit... makes me think. And with my V4, it needs a over haul soon... hmmmmm.
I woundn't do it, you will not be happy after you make it work. Don't get me wrong that little vw/porche engine is all right and probley eazy to make the converson, but it is no v4. Half the fun of a v4 96 is the 85 ft lb of torque you get at 2500 rpms. Where are you looking at a weber carb? Jack Lawrence sells some really nice packages. I think I'm going to stick one of his big single barrel webers and pair it with one of his exhausts on my sonnett and get about 79 hp. Plus if you go with the vw engine you won't have any heat, another aspect that makes a 96 a laugh is the fact that the heater is as big as the motor.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Watch out for the 1.6. Google miata short nose crank.[/QUOTE
that's only a problem if you don't use the right torks. I think that can be said about a number of things.
The right torque? Not true. If it was just a torque issue, then they wouldn't fail from the factory. We just rebuilt a customers miata with 86k on the original belt. He brought it in for an oil leak. We found the front pulley was so loose that it had wobbled and had ate a hole in the oil pump behind it. The keyway was so bad, the crank had to come out to be repaired. So the whole engine was rebuilt.

If it was simply a torque issue, then Mazda wouldn't have redesigned the part, hence the longnose crank. The long cranks aren't terribly expensive anyway, just be sure to use it. I wasn't saying the 1.6 is junk.

·
Registered
177 Posts
The right torque? Not true. If it was just a torque issue, then they wouldn't fail from the factory. We just rebuilt a customers miata with 86k on the original belt. He brought it in for an oil leak. We found the front pulley was so loose that it had wobbled and had ate a hole in the oil pump behind it. The keyway was so bad, the crank had to come out to be repaired. So the whole engine was rebuilt.

If it was simply a torque issue, then Mazda wouldn't have redesigned the part, hence the longnose crank. The long cranks aren't terribly expensive anyway, just be sure to use it. I wasn't saying the 1.6 is junk.
I'm not saying it is not an issue but it should be torqued everytime a timing belt is done, just like replacing the water pump.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts