Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so once again I am bored and decide to head out into the town right. Well this green eclipse (2003?) pulls up next to me and revs his engine. SO I prepare to do battle. Once the other light turns red...not ours the OTHER one....he goes. I'm thinking omg what a jackass but I follow stupidy. Anyway through the intersection I am on his ass and once we get passed that I pull hard on him. WHen he notices the SOB serves at me. HE FREAKING SERVES!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: I serve and pass him and by the time the lanes change to one..a little less then 1/4 I has 3 or 4 car lengths on him. I slowed down and parked and he kept going. If he got out I would have beat his A$$. In fact I would have just walked up to the car and the second he tried to get out I woulda kick the door on him then gone ballistic. :evil: :evil: ANyway onto story number two. SO my business partner has an acura integra G or S I can't remember. It has 280 hp and I won with my 240 :D We started neck and neck rolling then he pulled ahaed a little at first but the turbo did its job and I won by about half a car length. Stupid freakin eclipse if I ever see that guy his ass is so mine I swear to god. And in this town of 13000 people that isn't going to be hard.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
That sounds like a intresting race, kinda weird that he would go on a differnt light though.

When i drive around here there is nobody to race, only this one kid in his STI and i know my Car is not able to handle that YET. I wonder if anybody else in NH has this problem also, i find it so hard to find anybody to race, even when i;m comming back from school going all the way to mass.

Also it might be Swerves.

Nice kill on the integra with 280hp, did he have a turbo in his car? if not how is he producing 280 on a N/A 1.8? If he did have a turbo how did he lose with 20 more hp then you, he must have been driving like shit.

What are your specs?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mere horsepower doesn't determine if he wins or not. He has pulleys and cam shafts etc etc. Ues it has 280 hp but like 230 at the wheels. I have seen the dyno. The reason why I can pull on him is because of my turbo. No he does not have one. When the turbo kicks in it increases air flow into the engine and out of the exhaust. His car may have had more hp but I had the some if not more torque plus that little turbo part of it. And I know a lot of people are going to come on here now and say I'm full of crap because they can't imagine how he can go from 190 hp to 280 with just air intake and upgradeed pulleys and feul injectors. If anyone choses to flame me keep this in mind, the guy who worked on the integra's engine, has a Impulse (a freaking impulse) that has 500 hp easy if not more.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
the integra does not just have pulleys injectors and an intake and exhaust... it has to have head work... maybe a metal headgasket.. cams blah blah and tuning... no integra needs injectors for bolt-ons... theres more work done to the engine than u might know..... integras stock put down around 110 at the wheels if that so 170hp from simple mods will not do it

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I will ask him tonight exactly what he has and then post it here for your viewing pleasure.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
i was just looking at dyno charts of integras and integras with stage 2 turbo kits are puttin down like 240whp... so thats like 285 crank hp

edit this was the gsr motor which is 170 stock... where as the type-r is 195hp stock... these figures are at the crank not the wheels and are factory spec as stated from manufacturer....

now dont get me wrong these are quick little cars... if his car had 230whp u would have seen nothing but his rear taillights... their gearing is a lot better than saabs

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Osiris said:
...I slowed down and parked and he kept going. If he got out I would have beat his A$$. In fact I would have just walked up to the car and the second he tried to get out I woulda kick the door on him then gone ballistic. :evil: :evil:
Bro, have you ever considered decaf?

Maybe some aromatherapy? Meditation?

You're wound way too tight. :lol:

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Ya I know all about the power to torque and how turbos work and shit we don't need to be talking like everybody is dumb here.

Also I miscalculated the HP at the crank then at the wheels I was not sure if you meant at the crank or wheels, should have known the wheels though. Still 280 at the crank for a N/A is fairly good, and on a car that’s what 1.8? You sure he did not have shit bored out. He must have done a shit load of work to the engine to acquire that kind of power with out a turbo.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
theres no way he has that much power.... once again unless he did what u just stated and what i stated above... but even sooo those numbers r way too high.....

but still power to weight ratio in that car is a lot better than our saabs... so even with a lot less horsepower than was stated i dont doubt that that car could move... when i first got my car i raced a gsr.. my car in stock trim and his car with boltons and it made for a good run... once from a roll and once from a dig i put like maybe 2 cars from a roll and maybe 3/4-1 car from a dig..... so that just goes to show that hp isnt everything..... my 205 to his 170 and i still didnt walk him just 2 cars at most

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay for all you people who wanted to know EXACTLY what the integra had here ya go:

An 2.2 lsVTEC Motor
Port and Polished New Intake and Manifold
New Headers, Cams, Cam Gears, Pulleys
Full Exhaust
Type R THrottle Body
COld Air Intake

So there ya go lads.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Agreed I was thinking swap to.....a fully built H22 is capabel of going from about 200hp stock to about 270hp without blowing on it.

That being said, he has now excuse for losing to you...that H22 has plenty of torque for maybe he needs some driving lessons...

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
wait wait wait he said 2.2lsmotor... if this is correct "ls" then that means it was a ported 1.8motor i miss read that ..... i have no clue what the hell someone would b doing with a motor like that but hey more power to him... i still dont believe it has 280 or 290 if this is the case

and an ls motor does not have vtec stock i think... but then again with all the work done... im sure its an after thought

·
Registered
230 Posts
They make stroker kits for honda's that use longer rods and basically sandwich the deck (the kits use a significant spacer inbetween the block and the head) it's possible that's what he's talking about. Although these kits make good torque I can't imagine you can rev them too high.

As far as Vtec goes, it's not really good for total power...it's good for having a bigger power band, but ultmatley it just adds weight to the valve train and more ultimate power can be had by tossing the vtech and going with a traditional aggressive cam.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah he probably has around 260 270 tops. And yes it used to have a 1.8.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Dude,

He's got to be on the bottle, or have some kinda crazy bored, lifted motor for those kind of numbers. But since they wind out higher than most of us here, that's probably where his HP is....way up high.

You should have looked closer on the throttle body...or checked for Nitro lines running somewhere. that's still a lot of juice. The SAAB torque numbers are generally higher than the HP...that's probably why its so deceptive, because the torque is doing all the work down low.

What was his torque on the dyno? HP is just a play on words...its the torque that counts to move you fast. Bet his numbers were low on torque.

...regards..

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
Integra's can be very fast with the right motor built in them. If you ever saw the MTV series on Street Racing there were 2guys on there one of which is my buddy Mike who is an awesome engine builder and runs an all motor 94 Integra LS that pulls high 13's 1/4's. The VTEC is good for High end power and the Honda's and Acura's will kill in High end speed contests usually but never have much low end torque to them so off the line they are usually slower at least that my experience with them.

·
Registered
352 Posts
yes, they're not that quick until vtec kicks in....kinda like the saab, don't get the rush into the back of your seat until that turbo kicks in

·
Registered
230 Posts
That not entirely accurate....VTec cars actually have better torque than a non VTec set-up....

The idea behind Vtec is that a cam profile that may be really good for low end is not good for high end and vice versa. Basic VTec has two profiles one for high and one for low. Sometimes the crossover point is higher because it's better for fuel economy, that's why you can gain power with a performance oriented vtec controller.

For ultimate power VTec would be removed as it's just more weight in the valve train. But for a street car, you can run a gnarly cam without losing drivablitly down low.

iVTEC is the newest thing and it can vary continously throughout the rev range.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts