Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hoodride opinions plz?

My hood has some nasty rusty stone chips and a couple of dents in it, and I really need a new one. However, I don't want to go through the effort of reinstalling my hood pins on a new hood (I installed hood pins when my hood latch release cable broke, and since they are locking pins they are a pain to install) so I've been thinking about trying out the "hoodride" method as an alternative. I think it could look kinda cool, pretty unique for a 9000, and cheap too. And if I really don't like it after a while, I could always buy a new hood. What do you guys think? Here's a quick photoshop I did of what it would be like.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ahahahaha that's what I figured, my girlfriend says the same thing...who knows, maybe I'll do it anyway.

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
I did it as a joke to my car once. Let me tell you, there is a whole lot of galvanizing on the hoods, takes quote a bit of work to make them rust. And yeah, if looks goofy as hell (which is why I was doing it as a joke to mock a certain scene at a car show)

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would get a new hood cable and pick up a new (used) hood.
If I end up getting a new hood I might run a new cable rather than put pins in again, but I figured with winter right around the corner, what better time of year is there to rust a hood in VT? And it would be kind of a joke, just trying something that everyone says I shouldn't do, knowing that I can fix it later if I don't like it.

Yeah I'm a rebel like that:cool:

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Spend the $7.90
http://www.eeuroparts.com/Main/PartDetail.aspx?id=6973218
Name: Hood Release Cable
Part Code: 6973218

Spend the two hours it takes to install it correctly and be done with it. Then get a hood from a junk yard which matches your car decently. Don't make the car look like it just drove out of a wrecking yard....

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
what better time of year is there to rust a hood in VT?
Ideally you need to use a mixture of bleach and salt or something of that nature. I can't remember exactly what it was, but it will essentially seed the rust, and after some time and exposure it will fuzz out nicely.

What I did on my shitty hood:

It got some LOLs from people who understood what I was mocking, and the people being mocked didn't seem to get it.

And note, most of the center of the hood is totally stripped of paint, and had been outside in the elements with salty rust inducing solution on it for over a month, the only places that actually rusted were places I spent a really good amount of time on with a heavy grinding wheel.

edit: looks like vinegar, peroxide, and salt is the solution I used.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts