Saab Link Forums banner

Early 80's 900 on American Pickers tonight.

708 views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Ninety5Aero 
#1 ·
Also, an Opel GT. They didn't have anything to say about either car though. Just the Ford galaxy.

#7 ·
Also, from what I've seen of the show, the more horrific the condition, the more the current owner is going to ask for said item which cuts down on the profit, the gas money for the van and the tit-tat slush fund for the lady who always has to stay home.

#8 ·
I saw this episode last week. I noticed the Opel GT, but not the SAAB.

I tire of this show already. How many episodes can you watch where they pick rusted bicycles, oil cans, enamel signs and small-margin trinkets with such glee. They really need to broaden what they pick if they want to keep me interested. Or they need to bring in some more pickers that have different collectible interests and make this a competition or something.

#10 ·
They're just a couple useless trust funders, cruising around spending old family money.

Anyone who has earned their money straight up through blood sweat & tears doesn't look at an item for sale and ask the owner "Will you take $50 for it?"

You decide that you'll pay $50, and say "What are you looking to get for that ___?" hoping to hear $20. If you get a "Shucks....I dunno." you offer $15, haggle back and forth until you get it for $35, and walk away.

They say "Will you take $50?", then the owner already knows you're willing to pay $50, if not more, and they end up paying $75.

The two clowns lack any serious negotiating skill, and seem awful proud to "pick" a rusty Mobil sign for $25 that's worth $50. Nice job. Blow your whole day and $100 in gas to "make" $25 on a sign.

Again.....they're playing with funny money, and not really trying to make ends meet by buying & selling stuff.

#14 ·
No doubt about it, Adam's a good Vermonter. ;)

The best advice I ever got, also from a Vermonter while I was living in the state was this:

Always make a first offer that embarrasses you.
To follow up...after you make the embarassing first offer, and get a snide comment, a "you can't be serious" or a "uh, what?" from the seller, use the line made famous by my grandfather...

"best offer you've had all day, ain't it?"

That series of events should leave leave it crystal clear to the seller, that YOU are in control of the sale. Not them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.