Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
668 Posts
on that note... the maptun site when it says __ HP its talking about at the crank right?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lol ok since i was at a dyno... this is WHP and second... yes maptun is at Crank.... i have the said numbers at the wheels.....WITHOUT A CHIP!!!!!!

can someone please explain this?........ERIC anything?

this is a damn automatic

·
Administrator
668 Posts
I can explain... when saab says 200HP for your car thats just a gues... normally a low one at that. Ive heard some viggens dyno at 260 STOCK. Its just the way the T7 works, it can be lower at some times and im sure it depends on the enviroment air temp ETC... maybe someone else can do a better job but thats pretty much what ive gathered about the T7

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
shouldn't the torque be higher then that??? When I laid down 160whp - I had almost 200ft/lbs torque behind it. Is it that the newer ones have the engine management limiting it? :?:

·
Administrator
668 Posts
yep! it should not be limited that much... but yeah it does limit it.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
keep in mind guys.. this is an auto so tourque should not be that close to hp.. sotck they are rated at 205hp... and 185lb-ft

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
it says right in the owners manaul the autobox has less torque than the manual, it is limited to prolong the gearbox life... also the autobox has adaptive gear shift patterns, so when it gets really hot, it shifts differently, will not kickdown the same, etc. it has several shift programs, like HOT1 , HOT2 and HOT3, where if it gets really hot , it will request differnt shift patterns and in HOT3 I think it additionall requests sever torque limitation from Trionic and may even triiger limp home mode in HOT3. You can get better and more accuarte details on that saab edu site.... they posted som sample curriculum about autobox trannies....

oh and DAMN RICOT, is this with your upgraded turbo or stock??? Don't you have an MBC, too? that does not sound right, for a stock autobx, dude. holy crap!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
mwwwwahhh!........The H.O.T. is a bad little engine... :twisted:

The speculation over at Saabnet and elsewhere is that Saab was VERY conservative on the H.O.T. numbers to make the Viggen numbers stand out more. I've heard of the low 200s at the wheel in both HP and torque with minor mods, so even with some dyno error, your numbers are pretty high...

Enjoy it!!!

EDIT: Ahhhh....I think we found those extra ponies!

Rico, this car isn't entirely stock, right?

engine mods:
Ic water sprayer
Smbc
aero turbo installed
Custom intake(removed and airbox back in with 3 inch duct mod)
k&n drop in filter
Saab Sport Exhaust
Wrapped delivery pipe
removed throttle coolant lines
bcpr7es-11
Forge Bypass valve
removed hood insulation (going to replace it with thin reflective material)

Once you get a DP to free up that turbo, you should be seeing 220s..with an ECU mod, 240s...

Right now, you have a nice platform to build on....

·
Registered
546 Posts
Very nice. The larger turbing housing is making the engine more efficient at high rpms. What type of dyno was it, Dynojet? Mox torque seems a little low and late, even for an auto. Can you post the dyno sheet? Did you soak your intercooler before the run? Downpipe will be another nice gain. Did you get the rear sway bar yet? How did the SHO do? :p

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
rear sway bar is on... the sho ran a best of 15.7, and then 16s for the rest of the day.... lol
i didnt soak the intercooler it was nice and cold

·
Registered
546 Posts
Looks great, the power is very smooth. The air/fuel is also very nice. you can see how the power chokes after 5600 rpm , the downpipe will help that. Nice job Rico, it should be insperation to other T7 owners.
Eric

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
ricot83 said:
u have no idea i love this car.. autobox and all it is great next up maybe a volvo 850r
haha, yeah, Rico! I love my silly autobox, too. :wink: I can't wait to get it on a dyno. can you send me or post some pics of your mods, like especially the IC sprayer? I am curious to hear/see more about your T7 mods... :wink: :wink: :wink:

next time I will need to get a manual so i can have ambitions beyond stage 2, though. I have heard it is not wise to go more than stage 2, but stage 3 is only an extra 5 horses and a tiny bit of torque more. I will have to ask Maptun what they think....

an 850R would be lots of fun.... although the last few weeks I keep having dreams about Viggens! destiny calling perhaps?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ill see what i can do about pictures but itll b a little bit.... also my car is pretty much stage 2 without software, if not passed that already so when i get a dp it will be stage3 without software... o boy i dunno i m worried bout torque but on the same note i hope to b able to get the software with no problems

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
well for us crazy modding autobox guys the software is supposed to have less torque than for manuals, but I heard a few people say Nick T does not reccomend going past stage 2 on autobox, but then again he was selling BSR which is not known for being as smooth power delivery as Maptun or other tuners.

I guess the best thing is to ask Maptun and if they agree- If their software is not wise to go stage 3 with auto, maybe a custom program that has less bottom but lets the power really come in on the upper end, to still take advantage of the stage 3 type hardware. I was thinking stage 2 but I kind of want a full exhaust, which is stage 3, sooo.... i am hoping they can accomodate that for autobox.

even better would be a conversion to manual if it was not more than a new autobox (under 3000 plus some labor) or a reasonably priced way to make the current autobox handle lots of extra power. I have never seen a super bullet proof autobox upgrade kit, though. :lol:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts