Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like the deceased was a 73 year old from Solvang, CA.

http://www.edhat.com/site/tidbit.cfm?nid=39141

Source: CHP

On Wednesday evening at approximately 8:20 p.m., Party #1 (Susman) was driving westbound on SR-154, towards Lake Cachuma, in the area just west of the Cold Springs Bridge. A witness watched Susman's vehicle slow down and make a U- turn. It then begin to travel eastbound, back towards Santa Barbara. The witness noticed Susman's vehicle was driving erratically and appeared to be crossing over the double yellow lines into the opposing traffic lanes. As the witness attempted to overtake Susman's vehicle, with the intention of calling 911 to report it, Susman's vehicle left his view as it entered a curved portion of the roadway as SR-154 ascends the hill between Stagecoach Rd. and East Camino Cielo Rd.

While in the curved portion of the roadway, Susman's vehicle collided into the left side of a Pontiac that was also traveling eastbound. The impact caused both vehicles to spin out of control, across the traffic lanes and into the westbound lanes of traffic, directly into the path of three other vehicles that were driving westbound, down the hill. Two of the vehicles traveling westbound, a Saab and a Toyota, struck Susman's vehicle. The impact from those vehicles caused Susman's vehicle to be pushed off the roadway completely, where it struck a tree and came to rest. The third westbound vehicle, a BMW, struck the Pontiac. The impact between the Saab and Susman's vehicle ultimately caused fatal injury to the driver of the Saab. The identity of the deceased victim will be released through the Coroner's Office, after notification of the next of kin has been made.

FACTUAL CIRCUMSTANCES SURROUNDING ARREST OR INCIDENT:

Priscilla Susman was arrested after a preliminary investigation revealed her vehicle, which had been traveling eastbound, crossed over onto the wrong side of the roadway where it was struck by a 1989 Saab. That impact caused fatal injuries to the driver of the Saab. It also appears that alcohol played a role in this collision.

PERSONS INVOLVED

Priscilla A. Susman (54 Santa Barbara) driving a 1996 Nissan Pathfinder
Admitted to SB/Cottage for Major Chest trauma

Syrena M. Hernandex (24 Oxnard) driving a 2006 Pontiac G6
No injuries

PENDING NOTIFICATION (73 Solvang) driving a 1989 Saab 900 Turbo
Fatal injuries

Linda J Gaytan (53 Santa Ynez) driving a 2005 Toyota Prius
Blunt force trauma / SB Cottage

Jay B. Fortman (55 Santa Barbara) driving a 2007 BMW 328i
Blunt force trauma / SB Cottage

2010-09-16 02:18 PM

UPDATE: Priscilla Susman has been arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol and causing the horrendous seven- car accident on Highway 154 that left one person dead.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Terrible news. But on the positive if I were to die I would want it to be in my SAAB or somewhere else I'm close to.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
You would think that people should have more common sense than that, deciding to drive drunk is like deciding to smoke in a day and age where people have so much irrefutable evidence that it will eventually kill you.

It is just a shame the drunk driver was not given the short end of the straw over the innocent Saab driver. :(

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Speaking of drunk drivers: http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/plugged-in/gamers-lend-support-to-widow-of-heroic-developer/1410899

click 'his wagon was struck by an oncoming Chevy Blazer' to read the police report. is it me or does this story not make sense...ive sat here trying to analyze this and i havent figured out why he swerve into the car to save his wife that was in the car with him? And he only died? And the kids in the back of the blazer were only killed? Maybe im just too tired or just plain retarded lol. Some explain if you figure it out. Sounds like a really sad but heroic story....but im still sitting here going...."uhhhhhh"

EDIT: Nevermind, i think i figured it out...he must of swerved sideways resulting only his side being smacked. I was picturing a head on crash between both of them, then i read it again.... (like i said im tired, been sitting in my office since 3 staring at this god damn computer screen)

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Absolutely terrible. I have no sympathy for drunk drivers and hope the legal system shows the drunk driver no mercy whatsoever. Drinking is fine by itself, but I can still not fathom why some people think it's perfectly fine to get behind the wheel and risk not only their lives, but others. The effect that something like this story has on families and friends goes beyond words. And to think that it all could have been prevented by the simple act of never getting in the driver's seat. My prayers go out to the families of the driver and victim. Terrible story.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I don't mean to put a damper on all your drunk driver hate, but major chest trauma isn't exactly non-life threatening injuries. There's a good chance the driver could still die.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Wow...right in my backyard...luckily I was away this past weekend. The number of drunk drivers is bewildering. Very unfortunate. We have tons of DUI checkpoints near campus (almost every weekend).

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
^They have had a ton on PCH through Malibu. I got pulled over in one since my new CA driver's license hadn't arrived and I only had my hole punched CT license and had to pull behind the line of DUI people who were either doing a field sobriety test or were already in cuffs.

Every night, I see drunk drivers on PCH. What a bunch of losers.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I have NO sympathy for people who drive drunk and kill themselves. I have less for those who drive drunk and kill other people. Its a choice to drink and drive, a very bad one at that

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
When I got my license 24 years ago it was easy to drink and drive. I lived out in the sticks and we could drive around on back roads all night and never see another car, much less a cop.

I wouldn't think of doing it today. I haven't spoken to a friend for over 5 years because the last time we spoke one of the first things he said to me was "yeah, I got another DUI". This guy is a twice divorced single father with at least 5 DUI's.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Nothing left of that car. SAAB driver wasn't wearing her seat belt either (another unforgivable thing to do). Not sure it would have made a difference in this case anyway looking at that car.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts