Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm heading to the Island Drag Way this Friday and hope to see some other Saabs there. It's in Great Meadows, NJ and $20 for as many runs as you can make. Gates open at 6pm and it is empty for the first two hours. I've been there a few times and I've gotten in a dozen or more runs. So far weather looks good for Friday.

http://www.islanddragway.com/index.htm

Eric

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
As long as I have my car back Thurs. night/Friday I'm in - 9000 should run 16's if I get a good launch. (Not bad for a nearly stock 9000 with almost 300,000 miles) I gotta mess with my base boost when it's not raining... or just go out soon with some cardboard and fiddle with it :roll:

·
Registered
40 Posts
There is a similiar meet here in Indiana on the same night. Some day I hope to make a trip to the east coast to a saab meet and see your car and some others. If I didnt already have the weekend full Id try to make it this weekend. Let us know the next time the meet comes around. Ill try to make it.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
So I know that DeLorean and I would be going together (assuming there are 2 cars ready to go....) but would anyone in this are wanna meet up and drive in a group there?

·
7,595 Posts
well I'll be there, saab or no saab. it's getting close to needing a 250K overhaul. the philly cruiser may be there 8)

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
So what time are we all planning to meet up there?? I have work and need to know when to be home/leave. I figured if i got off work near 4 I could leave around 5/5:30 to meet ppl there or meet up for DeLorean to head up. I figured we'll follow the MapQuest directions since they look pretty good. (Unless somone else has better directions) I'll also hafta fill up with some Ultra 94 before leaving here since I need gas anyways. :roll:

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like getting there early, a little after 6pm. Make sure you bring long pants if you plan on racing, and a helmet. You can rent both there if you need. I hope to bring a helmet, which people can borrow, but I might not be able to get it in time.
Eric

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Pictures - it was dark - my camera blows - but I fixed them as best as I could - bare with.

DeLorean's Rocket Blows the exhaust off twice from the surge of power :roll: :lol:

A few random inside shots of my car in action - my headunit and scanner - an dmy boost at max- boost.

Great time - I ran low 17 as my best - should be able to pull a 16.something tho - first time flutters :twisted:

·
7,595 Posts
my times were not fantastic either, but it's a good "base line" for a lightly tweaked car. my exhaust blew off because of my 3 broke engine mounts trying to get a good launch with mucho wheel hop.

one thing learned from tonight is that not all Mitsubishis are slow :lol: and to watch the hell out for turbo diesel trucks. they could dust off a WRX like they were barley moving I guess that's what 700lb/ft torque with dual rear wheels will get ya.

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
Well i had a good time, definitely need to go back once all the mods are compete :twisted: .

Put down some pretty decent times once i figured out how the hell the whole drag racing thing worked :oops: . My best time was a 15.650 @ 91.34mph not too shabby for a 13 year old car with 213k on it 8) .

Apparenty tho the NJ state trooper in the median of I-80 felt that i was going too fast on the way home :oops: got me going 80 in a 65 (hell i thought i was doing 85 :lol: ) but luckily he decided to be nice and let me off with a warning :D .

so all in all a good trip, hope to do it again sometime.

Paul

·
7,595 Posts
PaulH said:
Apparenty tho the NJ state trooper in the median of I-80 felt that i was going too fast on the way home :oops: got me going 80 in a 65 (hell i thought i was doing 85 :lol: ) but luckily he decided to be nice and let me off with a warning :D .
well you got VERY lucky there :shock: if it had been me, I would have been tickited for sure :x how did he get ya? radar or clocking? did the detector ever go off (or was it even on?)

·
7,595 Posts
baaah, I'll just buy the valaintne 1 :oops:

here's what I like to do with cops-

First off, you need to be FIRM with the policeman
when he hands you the ticket, check it over for mistakes
Then, crumple it up and toss it at his feet
say very loud and firm "fuck you, and your ticket too!"
then observe his responce. very often, it can be quite funny! :lol:

·
Registered
363 Posts
Wow, sounds like fun was had by all. I need to get to one of these local meets one night to see you guys.

Perhaps next time, do they have a place to park and watch? I really am not interested in running my car, but would be interested in hanging out and watching.

ian

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
saab90089 said:
Wow, sounds like fun was had by all. I need to get to one of these local meets one night to see you guys.

Perhaps next time, do they have a place to park and watch? I really am not interested in running my car, but would be interested in hanging out and watching.

ian
They do allow spectators, IIRC it was like $5 for admission for spectators, might as well just spend the $20 and take a few runs :wink: i was actually surprised at how much fun it really was, it's quite tricky to get a hang of how the whole staging system works at first.

Paul

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My times were more consistent, but the improvement in trap speed was more noticeable. The main improvements for this last set of runs were the Aero turbo and the top engine mount that improved quick shifts. Boost was stronger and gave me better top end power and quicker trap speeds by 2 mph. However my launch and 60 ft times were slower. Looking over my old time slips my best 60 ft and ¼ mile times happened when the ECU controlled boost. But my best trap speeds happened with the MBC.

I've put together a spreadsheet of some of my best runs for the five different trips to the drag strip. The five bold runs decrease in ¼ mile time from left to right. The red time is my latest run and the blue G-Tech is it's the time for that run. The G-Tech is off by a bit but it was consistently off for all the runs I tested it. The error was only about 1.5% for the times, but ~4% for the speeds. But if I change the vehicle weight in the G-Tech I am sure I can have very accurate results. The last three times are from other Saabs that I know of.

If I can figure out how to launch my Saab correctly I should be running low 14's, around 14.3 seconds. But before I can go to the strip again I need to upgrade my clutch. I still have the stock clutch and it had been working great. But it started slipping at the drag strip on Friday. It would slip in second gear to 5000 rpm until the tranny caught up to it. But it only slips if I launch from a stop and feather the clutch through first.

I got a nice certificate and some stickers at the drag strip for finally joining the 100mph club.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts