Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I have a new set of bbs rk2's and Dunlop tires it's time to get back into engine mods. Downpipe is next, however they cost an arm and a leg to an 18 year old like me. That being said I don't wish to pay someone to install it. Bad idea? I have SOME mechanical skills. How hard is it, any good tutorials out there?

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Depends. My first DP install required some cutting of old exhaust pieces and some stuck turbo studs.

Could go easy though.

·
Registered
770 Posts
If your talking install, i'd say its easy. If you're thinking fabrication (because you mentioned price) that's what I'd call the pro leagues. The good thing to know is that even with its high price it is a necessary modification for many other things you might plan to do in the future.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Now that I have a new set of bbs rk2's and Dunlop tires it's time to get back into engine mods. Downpipe is next, however they cost an arm and a leg to an 18 year old like me. That being said I don't wish to pay someone to install it. Bad idea? I have SOME mechanical skills. How hard is it, any good tutorials out there?
Do it yourself.

Although I haven't done it yet, I plan on doing it this winter. I have taken the stock one off my donor car with little to no issues (O2 sensors can be a big pain however).

·
Registered
352 Posts
Its not a bad job. I did my 9-3 and 9000 with a lift in very litle time. I put a $275 JT without a cat on the 9000 and it was ok quality with great performance. With the 9-3, I went Genuine Saab V2 and didn't look back. You can get them cat-less now for around $500 I believe.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i got mostly yes's so its a go. thanks for the inspiration! one thing i need to know is if this sounds right:

Step 1. Spray bolts the night before with pb buster
Step 2. lift car
Step 3. Unbolt O2 sensors
Step 4. Unbolt rear exhaust clamp
Step 5. Unbolt from turbo
Step 6. take out
Step 7. put in and hook up to back of exhaust
Step 8. bolt up to turbo
Step 9. hook up O2 sensors
Step 10. Clean up & Drive

·
Registered
290 Posts
Went really easy on my car putting the GS downpipe on, the only issue I had was the nuts wouldn't come off of two of the turbo to downpipe studs and it just ended up backing the studs out but they came out and went back in just fine like that. I would suggest starting a pb blasting regimen a couple days before you take the downpipe off. Those bolts can be a very big hassle to get loose.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
All the times I have done it, I would loosen the rear as almost all the way then work on the turbo side. Then remove completely.

For install I would get the DP onto the turbo side, get the nuts on just enough that they won't come off, then get the rear clamp lined up and snug. Here is where I usually get the O2 sensors on since there isn't much room. Then kind of go back between the two making sure everything stays lined up.

And if you can't get the sensors out with the DP on, disconnect them where they attached to the wire harness then remove them once you have the DP off and more room to work.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Cheapest way is to make your own. Im 19 and I'm broke as well. So i decided to find bits and pieces i need like ss bends, high flow cat, flange, etc. Then i cut and matched everything together and got it welded up. It was a fun project that cost half the price.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
You're lucky that you have the facilities to do that, I would kill to have access to a welder (and some welding skills)..........Or just a lift even, for that matter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.