Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I need the spg to last me the entire winter so I'm trying not to drive it too hard but if theres something more i can do to make it last longer, it would be great. Obviously the basic things are done or will be done, oil change, spark plugs etc, i always let the car warm up for at least 5 minute every morning, i let it idle for a minute or 2 before i shut it car off, i try not to shift quickly or slam the car into gear and so on.

So this is where double clutching comes into play. I know double clutching isn't necessary for our cars because of the syncros in the tranny but if i do double clutch, how much of an impact will it have on the longevity of the box? The reason i ask is because double clutching isn't something i have a lot of experience with and it's not something that comes naturally to me, so if it has no real impact i probably won't bother.

I know double clucthing would put more strain on the clutch but as far as i can tell the clutch still grabs well, there's good pedal pressure and it doesn't slip. The tranny is what concerns me the most because as far as i know it's original. ( 4th and 5th gear do whine a bit, which I'm guessing is the pinion bearing?)

Soo whats the general concensus?

Btw the car has about 235k miles which the main reason I'm asking this question.

Edit:

What about rev matching? Again it's not something i have a whole lot of experience with but I'm assuming it would help?

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
I started double-clutching and rev matching last year. It can't hurt. The only thing that's difficult in our cars is heel-toe. The pedals and foot area aren't set up well for it--at least not with my feet. There are some good video tutorials online that teach good technique. They helped me get the hang of it. After a month or so, it becomes natural. Rev-matching especially made a difference in the way the car feels and I'm sure is saving my transmission.

·
c900 Grognard
3,713 Posts
I double clutch almost all of the time. I can't really say how much it definitively helps except that my trans is in good shape, and hasn't gotten any worse since I've owned it.

It's more fun anyway. Once you get a feel for getting the revs right it really doesn't wear the clutch all that much at all. Honestly other than from a standing start most of the time my clutch is more of an "on/off switch" anyway.

I would say you should learn how to do it.

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
You should try shifting without clutching at all.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
If your car grinds during a fast gear shift, then I would say to double clutch. Otherwise, it's probably not necessary in the fact that it probably won't deliver the value you demand. As far as pinion whine, it's not uncommon for 900's to last several thousands of miles or years with it. I've also heard wearing gears can also cause the whine and that the pinion bearing isn't always the culprit. In any case, drive the car respectably and you should be fine. Double clutch if you feel the need, but don't count on it significantlyprolonging the life of a stock transmission with high mileage. Your car should be just fine. For the price you paid, you made out like a bandit whether you get 5000 or 50,000 out of it. Good luck!

Also- a clutch isn't that bad to change in these cars if it ever goes. It's like a 2-5 hr job depending on your skill level, familiarity, and luck.

·
Super Moderator
6,730 Posts
i was under same impression
Once things start to wear out, especially in older "modern" cars, you can certainly feel a difference in gear selection.

But on top of all that, a c900 needs good fresh oil in the trans.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
when I drive my dad's jeep, I usually powershift (shifting without a clutch) because the clutch is almost gone on that car. But my c900 is an automatic, still it has 267k miles on it, so if Saab made manual transmissions like the automatics, then that transmission will last you a long time. Mines still going strong. But double clutching and power shifting can't hurt the car any.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
when I drive my dad's jeep, I usually powershift (shifting without a clutch) because the clutch is almost gone on that car. But my c900 is an automatic, still it has 267k miles on it, so if Saab made manual transmissions like the automatics, then that transmission will last you a long time. Mines still going strong. But double clutching and power shifting can't hurt the car any.
They did not make good manual transmissions, which is why everyone on here blows them left and right.

I rev match, don't usually double clutch unless I am driving the N/A, which I need to rev match 2nd gear everytime anyways.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I rev match on the downshifts to help the syncros on my 245k trans but I don't double clutch.

·
Super Moderator
6,730 Posts
when I drive my dad's jeep, I usually powershift (shifting without a clutch) because the clutch is almost gone on that car.
Powershifting is flat foot shifting, aka not lifting your foot off the gas. Not using the clutch is just not using the clutch (wearing out the syncromesh).

·
c900 Grognard
3,713 Posts
The reason people double clutch on c900s is that the synchros aren't even remotely beefy. A lot of older cars have worn them down so badly that it feels like your shifting through a bucket of gravel half the time. If you double clutch you are saving them some work, and prolonging their life. A SAAB mechanic I know likes to say "the story with these transmissions is always the same. The family has no problems for with it for years, then their son learns how to drive and speed shifts all around town like he's Mario Andretti, then a few months later they have to take it to me, wondering why it has trouble getting into gear."

Also, 'power' or clutchless shifting is NOT good for any transmission, Jeep or SAAB.

But what do I know. I've only put 50k+ miles on a c900 without any noticeable wear or problems with the transmission. (KNOCK ON WOOD!)

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
I rev match on the downshifts to help the syncros on my 245k trans but I don't double clutch.
If you aren't double clutching you are not saving the syncros. You may be saving a bit of clutch wear, but that's it.
What you describe, sounds like the proper way to drive a manual car. Shift down a gear and raise the revs while simultaneously engaging the clutch.

Double clutching on an up-shift is pointless and a waste of time.
Double clutching on a down shift can improve syncro life or make it possible to shift with shot syncros (or in a car without any syncros).

To down shift, step on clutch, move gear lever into neutral, step off clutch, blip throttle to desired (required) RPM, step on clutch, move gear lever into the lower gear, step off clutch. This all happens rather quickly, less than half a second.

Is double clutching going to add any measurable life span to your trans? who knows?

The reason to still double clutch in a modern car is merely for smoothness or in a race track setting where it is needed to downshift while braking for a corner (heel + toe). You want to double clutch and rev match as to not allow the drive wheels to slow down abruptly (as they try to bring the engine RPMs up to match road speed) thus letting them loose traction and possibly putting the car into a skid (especially a RWD car)

I tend to double clutch on downshifts, as I taught myself long ago to heel + toe down shift. Now it is a habit that I don't even give any though to. Also nothing beats a silky smooth downshift into 2nd gear at 50mph. When you nail it, it is a good feeling.

·
Premium Member
4,442 Posts
I've just started teaching myself heel-toe, but Turbocon is right, it's not easy with c900 pedals.

if Saab made manual transmissions like the automatics, then that transmission will last you a long time. Mines still going strong. But double clutching and power shifting can't hurt the car any.*
Fixed.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I do rev match on down shifts in the Jeep, but I guess I won't be power or clutchless shifting anymore. Thanks for the advice, sorry for thread hogging, didn't mean to.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
if Saab made manual transmissions like the automatics, then that transmission will last you a long time. Mines still going strong. But double clutching and power shifting can't hurt the car any.
sorry man, but thats pretty funny, i dont think saab got the good tranny thing till the F40

the life of a C900 trans is completely based on the owner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.