Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys I know that i can sometimes be a pest with all my questions I have but I want to thank you all for the help everyone has given me so far, you guys have all been great!! Now to the next problem, they just keep coming dont they??? Yesterday morning on the paper routes after the last one on the way home the low coolant light came on, now that light will only come on for 2 reasons, 1. your leaking or 2. your burning it, well the car dont leak I looked and put cardboard underneath to check too for small drips :( and this morning there is a very strange and nasty engine vibration AND sound at 1800 rpms that you can feel in the whole car, happens most on decel but there is a slight vibration on accel too, the other thing is the previous two weeks I had noticed the heating going hot---warm---hot---warm in line with the gauge which was fluctuating up and down too, I figured it was just from the very cold weather but now with the low coolant light I know it was from lack of coolant. I had also noticed the last 2-3 weeks ALOT more steam than normal but it didnt smell sweet (although they dont use the normal antifreeze we use in the US here in Austria) but also figured the steam was from it being damned cold, although it would be steaming out the exhaust all 2 hours during the short paper route and all 5 hours during the long ones, I always thought the steam normally went away after the car warmed up........ :( :( I dont want to have to change a head gasket, if that is the case I will just scrap the car and get a cheap Lada or something like that :( :( :( :( Is there a cheap, dont have to go out and buy tools way of checking for this? Oh and if it matters when I was under the car in the pit in our garage the cat converter sounded like it was boiling water when the car was off, thought that was odd too....... Thanks for everything guys/gals!!!! Car has 276,850km now (172,026 miles)

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
try torquing the head bolts down first to their proper specs. if that doesn't stop the leak then the head has to come off and be planed and the gasket replaced. it really isn't that big of a deal. easy job as long as you have the time and keep the timing in check. also, if you do need to do the head gasket make sure to replace the head bolts. they will break if you try using them again.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
try torquing the head bolts down first to their proper specs. if that doesn't stop the leak then the head has to come off and be planed and the gasket replaced. it really isn't that big of a deal. easy job as long as you have the time and keep the timing in check. also, if you do need to do the head gasket make sure to replace the head bolts. they will break if you try using them again.
Well if thats the case then I can replace my very leaky dizzy o-ring too, that thing is making a mess, any suggestions for the exhaust manifold bolts or can I leave the manifold attached? The bolts/nuts/studs or whatever they USED to be wont be coming off in one piece thats for sure, its soooo rusted on the manifold you cant even see IF there are nuts there its all one piece of rust haha.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
well if you are going to take the head off i'd do the exhaust and intake gaskets and bolts too otherwise you'll have to go back and do them later.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well if you are going to take the head off i'd do the exhaust and intake gaskets and bolts too otherwise you'll have to go back and do them later.
I want to avoid taking the exhaust manifold off LOL Take a look at what I would have to deal with :p

Attachments

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I want to avoid taking the exhaust manifold off LOL Take a look at what I would have to deal with :p
i say break the heads of the bolts off use a bolt extractor and get the bolts out and replace them. you're going to have to do it anyways. worst case weld new nuts on to the existing ones and back the bolts out that way. has to be done if the head is going to come off.

well doesn't have to but i'm sure it'll be easier rather than trying to take the exhaust and intake off with the head. also it'd be easier to have everything milled/planed without that stuff attached. wouldn't you think?

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
You can try the candle trick with propane. Just heat up the nut and put a candle stick on it for the wax to get in the threads. Or there's some homemade stuff that works better than pb blaster. I don't remember all the ingredients but it involves like ATF and some other stuff you could find lying around.

·
Registered
574 Posts
You can try the candle trick with propane. Just heat up the nut and put a candle stick on it for the wax to get in the threads. Or there's some homemade stuff that works better than pb blaster. I don't remember all the ingredients but it involves like ATF and some other stuff you could find lying around.
50-50 mix of ATF and Acetone. Shake well before use.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
She is DEAD

Ok the car is now officially going to the scrap heap, I am sick of working on it and now I cannot afford what just broke :( This morning while doing my paper routes the clutch started acting funny again, grinding going into reverse and hard getting into 1st and 2nd, well got it home and that is when it quit working, the clutch that is, the pedal goes right to the floor. Ok so I thought I broke another clutch cable again, yaaaaaay (insert sarcasm), well the cable is perfect, nothing wrong there, what is wrong is that I can move the clutch arm by hand 1/2-3/4 of its travel..........I removed the inspection plug up top and can see the throw-out bearing moves ok but not with the same movement as the clutch arm, something broke inside?????

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I am now sitting here at my desk with a broken clutch lever next to me...................................................yay. Kinda a weird feeling I have right now, was hoping it was just a busted cable again, now..........ugh, disgusted and depressed now since I have no means of doing my job (apart from borrowing the Skoda of my friends), now have to tear apart a transmission and no funds to do this hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm............2 years ago I worked at a Caterpillar dealership and tore apart and rebuilt a few transmissions for the large haul trucks (777 and up) even though my main job was the other bits of the powertrain (diffs, wheels, axles, brakes etc) this shouldnt be that hard then compared to those :p

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yay!!

Ok our friend in the town next to us is going to sell us his NG900 :D YAY!!!!! It has a turbo too so finally will have more power..............................downside is the insurance is going to be MUCH more expensive now because of that :( I will take pics of both cars when we get the other one, now we have a parts car LOL. Our friend has already put 3,500 Euro ($4,765.25 USD) in parts into the car and fixed alot of rust too so GOOD!!! :D He also said we can pay him small payments for as long as we need. I am VERY happy now and not so depressed LOL. YAY! Haha.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts