Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey-a! OK, more with the codes... My cousin's 1999 9-3 base (ALWAYS my cousin's car - for some reason my '00 9-3 SE is far less prone to trouble) is finally down to one code consistently: P0340.

I know that P0340 and P1334 are often coupled together and generally indicate a bad DIC.

But what about P0340 just by itself? Seeing how P0340 is "Camshaft Position Sensor A - Bank 1 Circuit Malfunction", we have a couple of questions...

1. Is there even a separate camshaft position sensor in this car?

2. Is in incorporated into the function of the direct ignition cassette?

3. Since so many codes are relatively interchangeable, are there any other problems that this fault code could be pointing to?

A bit of history on his car... he and his dad, at my prodding, replaced his DIC back in November '10 due to a persistent P1334 trouble code. That took care of a couple of codes... It was a USED ignition cassette, with a 6-mos warranty or something. So we're beyond that. I do not recall the production date of the cassette. If this is actually relevant I can pull it off and check...

Anyhow, feel free to weigh in. I think it is the DIC again, but am trying to get some confirmation that this is the case...

Any/all input is greatly appreciated... We'd love to get this nailed down before he has to go through emissions testing in August (added incentive: we can keep his dad from continued bitching about his son's problematic SAAB). But we all know that is not the case... ;) Thanks!!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I should have included that bit of information: I've got the correct NGKs in there (PFR6H = the platinum version of BCPR7ES-11, gapped at 0.036").

Plugs only have about 10k miles on them, so they SHOULD be OK.

After multiple code clearing/resets, P0340 consistently pops up on its own.

I'll recommend another DIC for him... obviously, eBay has a huge range of the Trionic 5 DICs... anybody have any recommendations on a particular vendor/yard/recycler?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Put in fresh plugs properly gapped and use dielectric grease on the DI boots...

If code still persists then time for a diff DI

·
Registered
270 Posts
I went through 2-3 DICs that would throw this code (I have 3 sets of spark plugs all with less than 10k now as well). I finally went and found one that had a date code within the last 3 years and haven't looked back. All the other DICs were <1999.

Gotta bite the bullet. Keep this one as a spare for when your new one craps out, so you won't be stranded.

Someone has taken apart their DIC at one point and tried to fix it as well (could be fun?)...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts