Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if thsi is the same problem as the turbo surge topic but here goes

Ok, so when I start to boost all is fine and the rush of air is heard coming in through the open air intake from taliaferro. The Boost picks up and then cuts out for a milisecond and the air stops being taken in then imediately picks back up. Its like a surging feeling, whooosh pause whoosh pause whoosh pause. Clueless as to what it might be, heard things like compressor surge and what not, but im clueless, dealor is no help either. Could this be causing damage or just weak boost?? All answers are aaprecciated.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Your boost may be a set little too high, which causes the ECU to go into negative adapation. How far up the scale on the turbo gauge are you when this happens?

Try this:
Pull the electrical plug on the solenoid valve, this is the one with the three silicone hoses to the turbo. With this, you will be running only on base boost. Go for a test run and observe where the needle of the boost gauge goes. It should be about half way in yellow (If you have a boost gauge, 0.40 bar). If it goes into the red your boost is set too high.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my boost gauge barely hits red though, and I have not upgraded the boost controller at all, could this be the same problem you suggest after this info?

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
not just a noise but a noticeable boost cutout/buck

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1999 9-3, always use Super93 gas and add techron at every oil change

·
Registered
156 Posts
Try a run with the plug disconnected anyway, see if this happens at base boost. Bucking is not necessarily a turbo problem, your DI cassette could be on it's last legs .

·
Registered
230 Posts
I agree with Vincent, I was about to say this yesterday. With 100k you should replace your DI as preventitive measure. Even if it doesn't solve the problem, it will prevent your car from dying on the highway and then having to buy one from the local saab dealer for $400+.

It is also highly unlikely that a 100k DI cassette is working to it's max potential. The other thing is to check is your plug gaps. Over gapping your plugs (with say a crappy 2 dollar gapper from a shitty autoparts store) can cause similair problems.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Those all went within a day or two, the key is to absolutly buy a new one, which I think may not get any better than 340 now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts