Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't draw very much, I have to be in the right mood. I haven't really drawn anything in about a year, but last night I got inspired and couldn't sleep, so I came up with this.
[/URL]
When Inspiration Hits by M. Washburn, on Flickr[/IMG]
Let me know what you think, and feel free to post up your own work.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
I used to, but not for the past 15 years or so.

This looks nice! You've got talent.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I only wish I had some talent for this.... the ID guys at work here seem to have all the fun:(
No joke....I'm always the first person to jump on the "Go to college for Art if you want to work at McDonald's." bandwagon, but I really really do wish I could draw. Not even draw well; just moderately at best (about 1/2 as good as your's, Micah, would be fine by me!).

I have absolutely Z E R O ability to draw, paint, etc. I guess to make up for it, I tend to have an over-abundance of common sense. I'll call it a "draw" (no pun intended).

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
I used to all the time--actually went to art school. Now it's all computer-generated stuff. Occasionally I still do some hand drawing, mostly pen and ink house portraits. I'd love to set up a studio at home so I could get back into oil painting--some day...

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used to all the time--actually went to art school. Now it's all computer-generated stuff. Occasionally I still do some hand drawing, mostly pen and ink house portraits. I'd love to set up a studio at home so I could get back into oil painting--some day...

I have great respect for pen-and-ink, I have never been able to get the shading and tonal variation with lines. I "cheat" and use pencil and charcoal, which I can smudge and make shadows quite easily. And Adam, I very much agree, common sense is an incredibly important, yet commonly blatantly absent trait in most people. I think you're fine with claiming it as a skill.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Sounds stupid, but my mom was pretty gifted with drawing, and I can remember, just like it was yesterday, sitting around the table with her and us kids while she drew us cartoon characters like Garfield & Odie.

I was always so amazed that she could do it, and remember it so vividly 30 years later. Wish I could do that for my kids, but no dice.....

I truly feel that its one of those things that you have, or you don't have, and no matter of practice, or schooling for me would ever change that. I just literally screw up stick figures and simple diagrams like shapes. Its weird.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
When I was really young, I dreamed of being a cartoonist or an animator. In middle school and high school, me and my friends used to do tons of comic strips, create our own characters, etc. We even thought about taking our Flash MX mastery to another level and try and do our own South Park like cartoon, television show. Life happens though and nothing ever panned out. I'm still doodling, painting, and thinking of new things all the time. I think art, whether it be drawing, painting, or whatever is a great way to exercise and keep the mind engaged. I consider alot of things people do with their vehicles to be similarly related...whether it be painting, restoring, working, etc. It's all about taking an object (a car, a canvas, whatever), using your mind to visualize it in your own way, and doing something to make it unique, special, etc.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
i can draw great.
i started college majoring in fine arts. then fine arts became a major in industrial design. then i.d. turned into architecture.
havent drawn ANYTHING in at least 10 yrs.
sad state of affairs. i dont draw anything but architecture. and even that is just minor sketching.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts