Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well a few weeks back, before I went to college, I decided to do something to the car. I bought a cone + piping from a member on here, and was going to mount it up in place of my old open intake setup.

Old Setup:

As you can see, it isn't exactly a cold air intake, sucking hot engine from the side of the engine. I wanted to angle this filter down to the front of the bay, behind the headlight. I took off the bottom end of the stock air filter, which I then realized was a base holding up the original open intake. So I then realized I needed some way to hold the tubing + filter from hitting the serp. belt, a heat shield would double as a way to hold the tubing, and a way to reduce heat.

I found a piece of steel (I know aluminum is best, but I have basic welding skills with steel) So I got to work with a piece of cardboard, mocking up the idea of the shield, then got to cutting the steel. After cutting, bending, grinding, more cutting, drilling, welding, and a coating of paint, I came out with this.

I set up 3 mounting points to mount to the 'brackets' the stock air filter was setup to. Also cut a hole for the tube, and a notch to clear the wires running down the side of the bay, and the headlight adjustment. I painted the shield with 1300-2000 degree header paint. So it should hold up to the temperatures.

The last step was the PCV line, I drilled a hole into the tubing, found a half inch diameter screw in, and cut the existing hose to fit. The red ties are only there to make sure no tapping occurs and everything holds up.

Finished product:

·
Registered
859 Posts
kinda looks like what i did last year =]. One problem i see with your is apparently it looks like you have a pcv connected to your intake tubing.... well in the spot you put it the oil from the pcv will simply drip down into your air filter and just clog it. I HIGHLY advise you to run a catch can, im running a 20$ off ebay and so far so good.

·
Super Moderator
6,730 Posts
Under the heavy suction of the turbo, I doubt the minor amount of oil drips will cause a TERRIBLE CLOG AHH.

And awww, the huge intake pipe is gone? C'mon, I JB welded and tapped that pipe!

·
Super Moderator
6,730 Posts
lol alright dude, basically his air intake filter is acting as a catch can.
No it's not, do you think liquid oil is flowing through the pcv system? It is all fumes, and 90% of it gets sucked back into the engine.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And awww, the huge intake pipe is gone? C'mon, I JB welded and tapped that pipe!
Actually, it is sitting on the shelf in the garage, I will see if I can turn it into something else haha.

As for the oil into the filter, I understand the concern but to my knowledge the amount of oil that is making it to the intake pipe is very minor, and of that small amount, most of it will go down the pipe toward the suction. So it is a good idea and I appreciate the concern, but not worth my time right now. I like your engine bay setup though, looks pretty clean.

·
Registered
859 Posts
No it's not, do you think liquid oil is flowing through the pcv system? It is all fumes, and 90% of it gets sucked back into the engine.
lol are we being serious because my catch can definitely is like half way full of oil.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts