Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
iam going to coat my manifold... the only thing i need to figure out is if me dad can sandblast the manifold... then i am going to by some of the black satin paint and coat the thing.... i mena geez ill b payin 20$ for the ceramic coating.... and maybe nothing for the sandblasting...

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
I'm interested to see what you think once the manifold is coated. I just bought a can but I have to get a flange welded on before I can paint it...

·
Registered
616 Posts
A word of warning about that spray on ceramic coat.....

My friend and I sprayed his headers with the stuff and it started flaking off as soon as the headers got hot, and our turbo manifolds get alot hotter than headers on a mostly stock Chevy 350.

I don't remember how we prepped the headers, but I think they were brand new.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I have the ceramic kind of spray paint on my manifold. What you need to do is make sure it's clean first of course of all rust and flakes, and then spray it on and then run the car for an hour to let the heak settle the ceramic coating. My paint usually lasts quite a few months and then I need to re-touch it up with another can...

·
Registered
520 Posts
rcmdesign said:
I have the ceramic kind of spray paint on my manifold. What you need to do is make sure it's clean first of course of all rust and flakes, and then spray it on and then run the car for an hour to let the heak settle the ceramic coating. My paint usually lasts quite a few months and then I need to re-touch it up with another can...
or allow the coating to heat settle by putting it in your oven.

But I agree....every 'rattle can' spray on coating I've seen ends up flaking. MO would be to go get it done right.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
actually it is not a spray paint u buy in parts store... thats not what im using.. we have a black satin paint that is meant for this..... u must sandblas tthe mani first then degrease it then paint it and let it cure... some of these coatings need to be baked others just need to be heated on the car

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it is 19.95 plus shipping for 4oz of paint which is enough for a pair of v8 headers, the stuff my father has is only rated up to 1500degrees though.. i am gonna give it a shot and see what happens if it doesnt work out i will get black satin which is good to 2000

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
I bought the black satin after reading a couple of good reviews on the Audi boards. Some of the guys there were saying that it improves the underhood temps dramatically....

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
I just got my manifold today in the mail - cost - $80 for it an it already was ceramic coated and broken in - so it's not going to flake - looks good! (Thanks Chris) - now i need to bolt up a turbo to it - and get a custom DP build - oh and assemble the motor :p :lol:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Pictures of My Manifold & Downpipe

I had this done in the Spring by a pro in Atlanta. They used the 2000 degree stuff. They did major prep work and then baked it after the ceramic coating was applied. I had them do both the downpipe and the manifold, both on the outside only. Cost about $150 total and took about 6 hours. I would highly recommend it.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Ragtop...that's a nice touch... 8)

I hope you don't mind me taking notice, being nosey :oops: ...but what in the world are you running in there? :?

Looks like an NG, with some crazy mods going on...did you reroute your intake, or is that normal? Looks like the potential for an EGT or pyro in there too....been looking to do one of those myself.

·
Registered
30 Posts
DC_SAAB asked,
I hope you don't mind me taking notice, being nosey ...but what in the world are you running in there?
Nothing too exotic. T7 with Abbott Cold Air Intake pipe (too much $$$, but Nick didn't have one then). 3" downpipe, Stage 2 Speedparts ECU, Forge BPV. I left the manifold cover off because I like the look of the manifold and don't feel that the manifold cover does much with the ceramic manifold.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts