Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes the problems keep coming....... Again 1994 NG900 2.0L NON turbo 5 speed. The distributor has oil in it constantly that fouls the contacts inside about every 2 weeks, I have to take it apart then clean it all up and reassemble it. How hard is this to fix? Is it just one seal in the block? This distributor is horizontal on the right side of the engine looking from the front and oil collects in the cap. Thanks guys/gals!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool if that works, I have to have someone back home buy them for me and ship them to me, there are no NAPAs here LOL. Is it hard to change the seals? Anything I should look out for or not touch? While I am tearing the engine apart how long does the timing chain last? We have 273,000km (169,600miles) on the clock right now. Does the lack of balance shafts make the job easier than the other engines? Also, please bear with me guys, why does the car ping so much at low rpms? Thanks again, god I almost need my own board for this car LOL.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Also, please bear with me guys, why does the car ping so much at low rpms? Thanks again, god I almost need my own board for this car LOL.
My 900 N/A does the pinging you mention. It has to do with timing and octane of fuel. If I put say, 93 octane in, it will ping much much less. After putting on a new distributor, it ping'ed even less. My N/A has 193k miles by the way.

To answer your question about the leaking oil, mine did that as well, replaced the o-ring and it was solved. A new distributor will solve this as well.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My 900 N/A does the pinging you mention. It has to do with timing and octane of fuel. If I put say, 93 octane in, it will ping much much less. After putting on a new distributor, it ping'ed even less. My N/A has 193k miles by the way.

To answer your question about the leaking oil, mine did that as well, replaced the o-ring and it was solved. A new distributor will solve this as well.
Here in Austria I have been running 91 octane but I KNOW for a fact that the 91 here is about 85 in the US due to diff measuring systems, so next time I will try the 95 but it pings on the 95 here too, maybe I can go to the BP and get their 101 they have, I think thats equal to about 95 US.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Here in Austria I have been running 91 octane but I KNOW for a fact that the 91 here is about 85 in the US due to diff measuring systems, so next time I will try the 95 but it pings on the 95 here too, maybe I can go to the BP and get their 101 they have, I think thats equal to about 95 US.
Try a new distributor too. For the record, mine pings in 2nd 3rd and 4th, at the beginning of each gear if I am trying to accelerate. If I go VERY easy into each gear, it wont ping, but I also won't be going anywhere very fast.

My car has done this for 2 years.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Unreal2004-What did you end up doing to fix the problem? New distributor or replace the seals? If you replaced the seals, how are they holding up?

I ask because my new '98 900s 2.3 N/A has code PO341, so I'll be pulling my distributor to see if it's just a dirty sensor/bad ground or if the oil seals need replacing.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The clutch/transmission decided to pack up and not play nice anymore before I could fix it, the NA Saab is now in about 500 pieces, most of it still useable. Only thing left of the inside is the steering wheel and handbrake LOL. Wish I did have a chance to fix the dizy, car was very nice to drive........when it did drive :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts