Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i have a 1997 vert i picked up that is kinda rough around the edges but runs good an figured i would drive it for a while and save the miles on my 1996 (its cleen and i wanna keep it that way) but the only problem is this car has a terrible vibration in the frontend that comes and goes with no rhyme or reason it seems but is progressively getting more and more frequent i have swapped tires, wheels, axles, front rotors, and tie rods with known good parts in and effort to get car roadworthy and fix this vibration but i am starting to think it may be this bushing issue i keep reading about in previous posts when i search for vibration issues but my question is does the automatic have this same type of bushing issue because all the threads i have read so far and when i search for the parts it only seems applicable to manual trans. cars anybody who knows please let me know thanks

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have a slight vibration left, very little, but it would be nice to completely get rid of it. If you want, read what I, and other's went thru to get rid of vibrations, well in my case, 90% of it. It is very drivable now. But if you ever change these bushings, and it helps, please let us know. The little vibration that I have left is affected by cruising, engine brake, and acceleration, and that makes me belive it is something in the driveline, maybe bushings. I saw that that SAAB changed the right side and made the driveaxle to the support bearing, and the outer housing for the inner tripod in one piece. They did this 1998 for the 9-3. My tripod housing is movable a lot, up and down on the splines, which make me wonder if that is the problem.

The thread is named: The epic Saab steering wheel shimmy

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply but the point of starting this thread was that i have already tried everything aside from actually replacing the trans. and i mean everything wheel to wheel with either brand new parts or with parts from my daily driver that has NO vibrations before or after swapping parts

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Looks like the part is the same for auto or manual. It's 8733230. The axle bushing will only give you vibration on acceleration if that's the case, it's really easy to check if it's worn out, just grab the driver's inner CV cup with the car on the ground and wiggle it, see if it's loose. A little play is pretty normal, but if you can move it more than like 3/8" where the boot clamps on you might want to replace it.

The oil seals are different though - 55353153 Manual, and 90542019 for Auto.

You didn't say whether you looked @ steering rack bushing?

Could also be lower control arm bushings (any of the 3), subframe bushings.

Is your other car a convertible? The NG900 'verts are shaky fuckers regardless.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.