Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me what the difference is between the base turbo and the SE turbo that gives the SE 20hp more. Is it the ecu? The reason I ask is that I have found a salvage 99, 9-3 SE and would like to convert my Base model to an SE. I'm hoping the car is Trionic 7, if not can I convert to trionic 5? I'm pretty excited about this find, I plan on getting the Leather Seats, door pieces, lower body trim and rear body trim. The front is bashed in, so the bumper cover isn't an option.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
SE models have a different turbo and different ECU mapping....but make sure it's the High Output Turbo: TD04HL 15T. It's the same turbo that's on the Viggen.

The SE also was about an inch lower and had a beefier front anti-roll bar.

And you want to keep the car a T-5. It has a lot more tuning flexibility...

·
Registered
145 Posts
A 1999 9-3 is a T-5 unless it's a viggen. The 99 HOT is only 200HP and most of that comes from a viggen IC and slightly different ECU.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
So a viggen turbo was available in the 2000-2002 9-3se HOT?

·
Registered
352 Posts
i was under the impression the difference went as follows:

different ecu's for the 185bhp, 205bhp, and 230bhp old school 9-3s

it was the B204 series motors for the 185 and 205 bhp cars

the 230bhp had the B235 series motor

the 185 bhp 9-3 had a T25 turbo

the 205 and 230bhp cars had the same but larger turbo than the 185bhp car

correct me if i'm wrong but i believe that to be correct.....

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
saabvos said:

i think the 205 HP car's motor is B205R

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
abdukted1456 said:
saabvos said:

i think the 205 HP car's motor is B205R
So if the 185hp car has a different engine than the 205hp, does anyone know the difference between the two engines? It doesn't seem very cost effective for Saab to have had different engines for the base and se. My plans for this car where to purchase the se turbo and ecu, then order the stage one ppc from parts4yoursaab, and eventually replace the downpipe and exhaust.

·
Registered
352 Posts
you can check your VIN number on this website to see what type of motor you have http://www.secret-secret.com/turbo/DIY/vin.html#86on

that will tell you what type of motor you have

if you're going to get another turbo why not get a t3/t4 instead of a stock turbo off another saab....

personally, i'd get all the hardware first before doing an ecu upgrade that way you can basically get all your extra hp in one fell swoop, meaning get the turbo, downpipe, exhaust done then go for the ppc but that's just me.....also i know me and a few other guys on the boards are trying to do the megasquirt upgrade....it's an entire ecu that you build to replace the stock ecu...i know PaulH is working on it for his c900 and i'm doing it for my 99 9-3, if this works, individual tuning could now be an option for our cars

saabvos

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, my eighth number is an H which turns out to be a B205L. So much for base models having a B204. Does anyone with an SE have the B205L? From what I could find only 2000-2002's had this engine.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Clyde, you have the B205L H.O.T. engine, the "high-output turbo," produced in MY00-02. To confuse matters more, it's also called a 9-3 Aero in Europe.

The turbo is the same TD04HL 15T turbo that is in the Viggen. Your engine also has the Nimonic-coated, high-heat resistant exhaust valves that the Viggen has, but I'm not sure if it has the sodium-filled intake valves.

Good news: The 205 bhp listed by the factory is said to be conservative. The engine is also HIGHLY tweakable, and can easily make up the 20 bhp gap between it and a Viggen with a healthy ECU tune. (This is the engine I'm putting in my 97SET body.)

Bad news: The tranny is unfortunately the same as the 185hp SE, not the slightly beefier Viggen tranny which has thicker synchros and gears. (After I blow this one, I'll consider a 6-speed from the 9-3SS. I think I'd have to scrub Kevin Yankton's garage floor for some tips on how to make it work, tho!)

You don't, I believe, have the flowthrough front-mount IC, but hope that I'm wrong.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
mike saunders said:
Clyde, you have the B205L H.O.T. engine, the "high-output turbo," produced in MY00-02. To confuse matters more, it's also called a 9-3 Aero in Europe.

The turbo is the same TD04HL 15T turbo that is in the Viggen. Your engine also has the Nimonic-coated, high-heat resistant exhaust valves that the Viggen has, but I'm not sure if it has the sodium-filled intake valves.

Good news: The 205 bhp listed by the factory is said to be conservative. The engine is also HIGHLY tweakable, and can easily make up the 20 bhp gap between it and a Viggen with a healthy ECU tune. (This is the engine I'm putting in my 97SET body.)

Bad news: The tranny is unfortunately the same as the 185hp SE, not the slightly beefier Viggen tranny which has thicker synchros and gears. (After I blow this one, I'll consider a 6-speed from the 9-3SS. I think I'd have to scrub Kevin Yankton's garage floor for some tips on how to make it work, tho!)

You don't, I believe, have the flowthrough front-mount IC, but hope that I'm wrong.
Mike, is the flow through front mount IC the difference between the B205L, and the B205R? Also other than the vin is there anyplace on the engine I can look for the engine model #? I'm still currious how my base model got this engine. I think the six speed would be sweet, I can't wait till your stock transmition blows so I can see this swap performed! :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I finaly got the time to decipher the whole vin#, and it looks like my car is the 9-3S not the Base. I didn't know they even made a 9-3S, I was told when I bought it that it was a 185hp base model. So does the 9-3S have the same horsepower rating as the SE?

·
Registered
145 Posts
The 1999 SE HOT was 200 HP. The engine is B204R. There were plenty of 1999 SE's that were not HOT. The only way to get the HOT version was with the SE package on a manual transmission, and specified to be HOT. The 8th digit in the VIN needs to be a "P". The B204R came stock with a single pass intercooler (Viggen IC)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts