Saab Link banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all... I've recently been working on my cousin's '99 9-3, but it seems his bad luck has rubbed off on me (and my car, a 2000 9-3 SE HOT). :cry:

My CEL is back on. The first time it resolved itself (CEL actually went off ON IT'S OWN! How often does that happen with SAABs?). I checked the stored code after CEL flashed: 1334

Then, today after about 40 miles of driving, CEL is back. Drove 40 more miles back home, checked codes: 1312 and 1334 (pretty much confirming the failure of my DIC).

YES - I have the proper NGK plugs installed (BCPR7ES-11 which I gapped @ 0.036"), which I replaced after the first CEL flash, so it won't simply be an issue of replacing plugs (I was hoping).

My point? Unless somebody makes a compelling argument otherwise, it's the DIC...

I'm looking for advice/testimonials about where to buy the DIC and who offers the best product/warranty for a reasonable price. I REALLY don't want to spend $400-ish at the stealer... so any suggestions anybody?

Really appreciate it... :D

·
Registered
890 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Snabb SAAB,

Thanks! Yeah, I've been browsing eBay. I think this time, though, I'm going for a new DIC - unfortunately, that means spending more $$$. My last one was a used eBay buy for $80 and lasted 7 months... (shrug) Not bad... I guess if you figure I replace it q 7-8 months, that means I'll get 2 years of wear for $240. But the new one may last 4 years, in which case THAT'S a better deal.

What to do, what to do...

Anyhow, really appreciate the prompt response/help/suggestions. I'll post what I find and decide on. Have a fine weekend!

·
Registered
890 Posts
^ If any dealerships are willing to discount and match prices they should advertise, especially on enthusiast sites (like this one). Haven't seen much of that here, on a Subaru forum I frequest there are lots of dealers online that will match price and give discounts to forum members.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ausgezeichnet...

Hey guys...

Whoa! I never would have expected the dealer to have a discount (honestly - I'm not being sarcastic, there). I guess BMW has it for CCA members, so why not Saab? ;-)

SO... with the discounted price at the dealer (assuming 10%), what would the cost of a new DIC be, out the door?

Thanks!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@ Moonracer...

Also, since it sounds like you work at a dealer and have a good knowledge about Saab workings, what is their warranty on a new DIC? I ask, because all DICs have been plagued with problems (I know that there has even been a recall). For that reason alone might the warranty be extended? If they have a warranty that is LONGER than the standard 12-mos (all the new units online are only 1 year), I'd be much more likely to go the dealer route... let me know, when you have a chance... :)

This is good stuff for everybody to know, since it is such a common failure.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
The OEM saab ones have a 1 year warranty. Yes they were a high failure rate item, but the last few years the quality has increased greatly. One of the biggest things that we've seen to cause early failure is to not replace your spark plugs often enough. We have been tracking this for many years and noticed that most all of the failures will be on cars that have gone MANY miles over on their plug changes at one time in their life. We also have 91-92 9000's with the original DI in them on the road. I'm not saying this is the only reason they fail because we have seen them fail on cars with as low as 16 miles on them too. But this is VERY rare.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Moonracer... Thanks!

That is really good to know. By the time that you and Snabb SAAB had posted, I'd already gambled on a used unit and made the purchase. But IF this one goes bad (I'm not going to say when, because as you said, not all fail - and I want to be optimistic), I'll go the dealer route to get a brand-new unit.

Again, really appreciate the info, guys!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts