Saab Link Forums banner

DELOREAN vs CONTEMPORARIES: Time for a Poll!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was in elementary school when Delorean came out. Too young to understand why it was special. I just knew that it was cooler than the gorgeous 308gts of the time.

Nowadays, I won't/can't make up my mind. I want both - or all four. For new 997 money you could have the stable full of 80's exotica

...and some hairy 80's erotica. Debbie does Dallas anyone?

In light of recent DMC developments, now I'm curious what car from early 80's caught your fancy. I've excluded the Countach because that would be the clear victor, and just not fair. also curious what your order of preference is.

So the choices are all Hollywood-certified stars:

Delorean: BTTF

Lotus Turbo Esprit: James Bond

Ferrari 308gts: Magnum PI

Porsche 930: No Man's Land

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
930/911 Turbo, hands down.

I've lusted after 911's since the early 80's when one of my dads friends bought one.

·
Premium Member
4,442 Posts
I usually go for the least common option simply because I like weird cars, but in this case, it's not even close for me. Has to be the 930.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Yeah IMO they are all fantastic cars, but the Ferrari would probably be my choice, unless i had to be reasonably practical about it, so i'd probably take a 930, if in turbo trim.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Ferrari! 'master magnum, the car is back from the repair shop'
'Higgins! You've got a gun?!'

·
Registered
369 Posts
Sorry, there are lots of cars that are made at the same time but DeLorean does not fit in the class of any of those above regarding performance.

A cute niche car for certain but hardly a car that ... more the Jensen or Stag, it would turn heads but just keep the right foot where it belongs.

Like a lot of cars, it was just born at the wrong time. It has such potential.

308 but would prefer the Fiat Dino that preceded it. Too many engine fires on the 308 and I know where there is a black Esprit rusting sadly away in front on an indie shop in Pennington NJ, if any of you are inclined to go on "a rescue".

·
User
9,193 Posts
Porsche all the way... Something about those 80's-early 90's 911 Turbos. Mmmm.

Plus, you can do this.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Delorean's never did anything to me, only thing I liked was it being stainless but the performance numbers weren't that good even for the 80's. Much rather have a Pantera or Lambo Jalpa (I think that's what it was called)

911/930's are awesome cars, it's just they were everywhere back then, like seeing a honda now which is why I wouldn't want one. Been on the track with them numerous times..... waived a track prepped 930 by & just as he went in front of me (I was in my SPG) a 6ft flame shot out the back.... so cool!!!! Then going around the last turns at Putnam being on his bumper & watching his front inside tire raise up in the air was so cool..... then he was gone :)

308's are so classic.... but maintenance.... maintenance..... maintenance.....

Esprit is where my money would go however I would skip the 70-80's & get a early 90's S4s.

·
7,595 Posts
If the goal was absolute performance, no one in their right mind would choose the DeLorean over those 3, it is not even slightly comparable with the standard non turbo PRV. Looks alone & "potential" performance? - you have a competition.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I like the Lotus and the Porsche, but the Ferrari is just sex on wheels.

·
Registered
75 Posts
proper

The 308 is just right..I drove one in the mid 80's..It did everything properly..even in the city..can't ask for more that that.

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
930/911 hands down for me. The 308 is an excellent car too, just doesn't seem like something I would want to drive as often as a 930 or 911.

All that said, I'd take the whole lot of them in good shape over something more modern that would be worth the same as the bunch.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I included the delorean because it was just as much a "lust" object to me as the other 3. Performance wasn't up to par with the looks, but then again, none of the 4 could possibly do much damage with so little horsepower nowadays!

The 930 had, what, 250hp? That's a piddling amount nowadays, and it was considered an untameable beast back then!

I wouldn't care for a delorean in my garage. Just to look at it, but never drive it.

The 930, lotus, and 308? Id enjoy them tremendously.

After a year though, id want a later ferrari. A 328 is so much better! So. That's not the ultimate car of the group.

The 930? Id want a 993 soon enough, so that's not ultimate lust either.

The lotus? Its timeless. Newer esprits are cooler, but very different to me. The esprit is the keeper for me.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I included the delorean because it was just as much a "lust" object to me as the other 3. Performance wasn't up to par with the looks, but then again, none of the 4 could possibly do much damage with so little horsepower nowadays!

The 930 had, what, 250hp? That's a piddling amount nowadays, and it was considered an untameable beast back then!

I wouldn't care for a delorean in my garage. Just to look at it, but never drive it.

The 930, lotus, and 308? Id enjoy them tremendously.

After a year though, id want a later ferrari. A 328 is so much better! So. That's not the ultimate car of the group.

The 930? Id want a 993 soon enough, so that's not ultimate lust either.

The lotus? Its timeless. Newer esprits are cooler, but very different to me. The esprit is the keeper for me.
In 78 (IIRC) they intercooled them and junk and they had 300hp, such a sexy porsche, somewhat scary to drive at the limit if you'd never been behind the wheel of one before (nothing at all like the 993)

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Ferrari 308. Probably one of my favorite cars of all time.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Porsche. Although the Ferrari is a very close second...

I've always been a big Porsche fan. Such a great design...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts