Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
picked up a e3 intercooler cheap off my friend and decided to throw it in my ng. this is probably one of the biggest intercoolers ive seen on a saab and it was a pita to put on, so after ripping out all of the ac componets and a few trips to the speedshop for some fittings we managed to make it fit :cool:

dont worry i didnt keep the horns there

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
That IC is a beast!! Did you have to do some trimming besides getting rid of the ac?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nope haha all I did was pull the ac out oh and the horns. and just left all the fittings loose then when I put the bumper on I just adjusted it to the right height. It was surprisingly easy

·
Registered
811 Posts
If you keep it... cut some piece of rubber... maybe from an old tire or something and put it between the 5mph bumper piece (which i assume you had to trim) and the intercooler so it does not end up rubbing a whole clean through it...

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
That's huuuuuuge! *haha that's what she said*

Yes, definitely be sure to guard it from the bumper, assuming you have one left to put back on. Should be interesting to see how that works.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Compensating for something?

;)

That looks my big FMIC look like a little girl. I don't remember my dimensions offhand, the core was maybe 8 or 9 inches tall, 3 1/2" thick, and 24" long? I can't remember. But that looks awesome. Screw putting a bumper on that.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the core itself is about 26"x12" and its 3" thick. and i managed to mount it every so perfectly so that its about a 1/4" away from the crash bar on each side. plus im planning on vig bumpers in the future so i just cut the front of the bumper out so you can really see the ic.
oh and secret, that question never popped into my head until you asked haha

·
Deez Nutz
15,679 Posts
Just curious, how are you going to make up for the lack of airflow to the radiator?
It won't be a problem. IC's are made to have air flow through them. Despite that, people still think they are a wall or something.

People said I would overheat in my C900, with my huge IC, and it's been fine for 3 years.

Chumps.

·
Registered
87 Posts
can You upload more pic how the piping is going from turbo - to ic - to intake manifold ?
i have similar ic 600mm/300mm/76mm core and I was going to reweld inlet and outlet - but Your way can be easier to do ...

is ic on oil cooler lines or ic is moved to front little bit
and is car more laggy now ?

cheers
danny

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
It won't be a problem. IC's are made to have air flow through them. Despite that, people still think they are a wall or something.

People said I would overheat in my C900, with my huge IC, and it's been fine for 3 years.

Chumps.
I know they're not a total block to the airflow, but it would still lose some. I guess as long as you're not just driving at 5mph around town all day you'll probably be fine. You may have won this round Palmer, but I'll be back :p

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
on the side going to the turbo i have a silicone 90 coming off the ic then another silicone 90 coming off that one to make the bend around the side of the car. then theres a straight pipe going to another silicone 90 that reduces to 2.5" to fit onto the turbo. this is the only pic i have right now but ill take some more today for you

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I gotta give credit to anyone who puts one bigger than that on because it was a pain in the balls and I can't imagine going bigger with the stock bumper

1 - 20 of 62 Posts