Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep. Having owned two of what are now the "old" New Beetle I guess, I'm not a fan. As a standalone car? Sure. As a Beetle? No. Why not just call it the Beetle Bertone?

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
err... I'm seeing a little too much PT Cruiser in that. Not buggish enough.

·
Registered
10,080 Posts
There is only a small trace of my concept work on that from '04. I also tried fighting very hard to have it be rear engine lol.

So yeah, not a fan at all of what I have seen so far.

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just seems too smooshed. And I think they should have just called it something else and let the Beetle franchise rest for a bit.

·
Registered
10,080 Posts
Just seems too smooshed. And I think they should have just called it something else and let the Beetle franchise rest for a bit.
It just doesn't look coherent and looks like an afterthought-where they took just ONE element from the Ragster.

Here is an early drawing which already looks dated as it's from 1/2004.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
It just doesn't look coherent and looks like an afterthought-where they took just ONE element from the Ragster.
+1....

Looks like poop. .

The wierdly upturned front air dam and the thick C pillars make it look like kid running around with a load in its diaper.

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I suppose they may think they can get away with this since the model is re-established. However, if that car had come out in the late '90s rather than now? My guess is I would have been in a Saab years ago.

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
I think the overall shape looks much more like a air cooled Beetle than the original old New Beetle.

·
Registered
675 Posts
It may have something to do with aerodynamics....there were all sorts of issues with the Beatle being unstable on the autobahn. They never received the "S" version of the car with the 1.8t because of this - they feared people would drive too fast with it.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Why - seriously, why do they need to bring it back - again?! Stop making it - it was what it was back then when it was air-cooled (when VW's were neat at best) but those "new" old Beetle things were just awful IMHO - and when I heard those fireballs on wheels were going to finally cease I had a sigh of relief - now this PT wannabe POS? I will buy an old truck and smash into every one of them I see if they persist.

Stupid VW..... go back to Mexico!

·
Deez Nutz
15,679 Posts
I like the front end actually.

The rear is a little akward. I'll have to see one in person I guess.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Das bach...

I also agree that that front bumper is a bit funky. It looks like they were backing up and got it caught Viggen bumper style on something and it turned upward. But in this shot, it looks like cammo over the real bumper.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Is anyone else seeing more Porch
Monkey? what? I see no PORSCHE in that aside from a cheap set of headlights....

I think they may have gotten confused, and accendentally designed a new-gen PV544

Paul
lol - I'll take the Volvo please.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts